iTunes Crashing

Reaction score
Hello all, I know this has been discussed many times, but I have yet to discover a solid fix.

I got the Verizon iPhone and iTunes wouldn't read it. I restarted and still nothing. After wrestling with this I did an reinstall of iTunes and now it only crashes when I try to launch.

I've removed Flip4Mac and used Onyx to reset several things. Now I'm just frustrated after about 5 hours of searching.

I'm on a PowerBook G4 and this is the crash log:

Host Name:
Date/Time: 2011-02-07 22:34:33.158 -0800
OS Version: 10.4.11 (Build 8S165)
Report Version: 4

Command: iTunes
Path: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes
Parent: WindowServer [97]

Version: 9.2.1 (9.2.1)

PID: 576
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Symbol not found: _pthread_rwlock_init$UNIX2003
Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreFP.framework/CoreFP
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
The problem lies in the OS. You need to be running with Leopard 10.5.8 and iTunes 10.1 for the iPhone to be compatible.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Kevriano, thanks for your reply. I understand what you're saying. At this point, I just want to get iTunes up and running again so I can listen to my music. I have my phone activated and will have to back up some other time.

I uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes but it keeps crashing. I have tried to install an older version in hopes that I could open and update, but no luck. The older version does stay open a few seconds longer. The latest version for my OS is 9.2.1 and that one shuts down immediately upon launch.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling Quicktime plug-ins and Flip4Mac with no luck. I've backed up all my iTunes music and then deleted the application, associated files, plists, quit iTunes helper from Activity Monitor, deleted mobile support from Extension and Receipts, cleaned out the trash with Onyx, restarted and over and over again. It seems like it wants to almost open but acts as if something is missing. A component of some sort.

Any thoughts on what the issue might be?
Is it the reinstall?
Is there a bad plist somewhere?

Things were working fine until I uninstalled iTunes to try to connect the iPhone and after further research, realized it was the OS.

Thanks again for your reply, I'm looking forward to listening to some music as all this fuss has given me a headache. I'm looking to get a newer mac, but that might not be until another two months, for now I just want to get iTunes working again.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
which version of itunes are you reinstalling? itunes 10 only works on 10.5 and above.

oh sorry didnt read it properly.
ill go for a google and see what i find.

EDIT: have you removed your library from your internal hard drive along with any XML files allocated for your library?

OP
Z
Reaction score
Yeah, I've removed my internal library along with xml to an external drive. I've currently installed 8.2 as that version holds longer, but the 9.2.1 just crashes immediately. When I launch 8.2 I can hit cmnd+, to see preferences for about 2 seconds than it goes to the option of "reopen" and then "try again".

I'm still trying, just interested to know what it could be to get it fully functional. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hi again.
Ok verify your permissions in disk utility, and then try again. I have seen this happen a few times for others and this more often than not fixes it.
You could also trash the plist file for iTunes too.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Kevriano, on the first try, I just did "verify disk" an error in the results window:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Incorrect block count for file Database3_BROKEN-journal
(It should be 21 instead of 0)

Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume bitmap.
Bit Map needs minor repair",0)
Checking volume information.
Invalid volume free block count
(It should be 4309328 instead of 4309349)
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

After this I did a "verify disk permissions" and it gave me these results:

Verify permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Determining correct file permissions.

Permissions verification complete
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

Any thoughts? iTunes still won't open, it immediately shuts down.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, that's good.
You need to run disk utility from your install disc then, and repair the permissions and disc from that, this will get you back on track to getting things running properly again.

OP
Z
Reaction score
The install disk will not do a fresh install over my system will it? Is there something I should keep an eye out for, so as not to wipe my drive out? Thanks, I'm hoping this will work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No. When you boot to it, the installer will come up, but got to the file menu and quit installer, and then you can select disk utility from the file menu and run it from there.
Once it has run it's process and repaired the drive (hopefully, it should do) you can quit and restart booting to your normal system.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks again for your advice. I looked up this site on Apple's Support page Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck to get an understanding of the process. I did it and the drive was repaired successfully, no more red errors, only green success.

Went to launch iTunes and it shut down again. I uninstalled, restarted, trashed contents from trash, restarted, installed, and still nothing. I'm not wanting to give up buy it doesn't look like it wants to cooperate. After this lengthy week of wrestling with this, I'm done, unless there is yet another suggestion or thought as to what might be going on.

Your help is very much appreciated and I'm thankful you've been replying. At this point, I'm unsure which direction to go.

Any other thoughts that may help?

Thanks again.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Haven't stated whether you've done it or not - if not, remove all of the iTunes plist files.

Then remove any plugins you may have - should be in root Library / iTunes / iTunes Plugins.

After that, I'd try reinstalling the 10.4.11 combo update.

Does Quicktime work?

OP
Z
Reaction score
Quicktime works. I've stated in my earlier posts that I've removed iTunes application, plist files, along with Apple Mobile Support from Extensions and Receipts. I've also removed iTunes helper from accounts and quit iTunes helper from Activity Monitor.

I also stated I removed and reinstalled Quicktime plugins. So far no luck. I'll try the combo update now, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If that fails I think a clean install is going to be the only way to solve this ultimately.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I don't mind doing a clean install but not until I upgrade to a newer mac. I may have to bite the bullet earlier than I had hoped for. My Powerbook G4 is in pristine condition, I'm hoping I can sell it and get something for it. I'll report back with how things turn out.

I'm really regretting that I did the uninstall/reinstall because iTunes was working flawlessly.

Thanks again for the help, I'll report back with any updates.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Okay, it went further but still crashed. I was able to get to the "Agree" page when iTunes launched and then it closed down. I was going to submit my crash report for review, but it says the post is too long. Maybe I'm copying over too much. Thanks again.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Okay guys, I'm going to do a fresh install on my Powerbook G4. Anything I should look out for?

I've backed everything up and purchased a newer Mac. I bit the bullet sooner than expected but managed to stay within what I could pay off in the next two months.

I got the 15.4" MacBook Pro Notebook Computer 2.4GHz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM (hi-res antiglare) with a 320GB 5200RPM HDD for $1899.

Then I went to OWC Macsales and got a 500GB 7200RPM and 8GB RAM for $194 and they both arrive this weekend.

What do you guys think? It was $2093 total as I got free shipping and saved on taxes.

I was aiming for the i7 at 2.66 or 2.8 but it's way out of my price range for additional software I'm looking to get later. I'm not familiar with tech specs and mainly do graphic design for print. I don't do much video editing and if I do it's for family and personal use.

Good deal? Will the 2.4 haul?

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.