How to boost Mac Mini Airport signal out

Reaction score
Hey. I'm a noob. I admit it. I have a Mac Mini (2007 model) and I've been happy with it for the last 3 years or so. What I want to know is how to increase or amplify the wireless signal that the Mini emits so that I can use my peripheral wireless devices further away from my Mini. I've seen some USB "repeaters" and antennas for about $100 or more, but I was thinking more like a device that I could plug in up in my attic in the center of house that would both receive the signal from my Mini and then amplify and re-send the signal to the other end of my house. Is there anything like this out there? I'm really at a loss when it comes to wireless networking and all the n's and g's and WEP's and stuff, so please keep the terminology as layman friendly as you can. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The only successful way(wireless) i have had on a large area was using an Airport Extreme with several Airport Express's it can be set up several ways the instructions that come with it
are easy and as far as WEP never I always try to use WPA2.

Reaction score
You can get greater range by doing one or more of three things.
1) Get a router that has an antenna port to add an external antenna, and then add an amplified external antenna
2) Get an amplified external antenna for your receiving product (computer, iPad, iPod Touch, etc.) specifically for use with the type of router that you have (e.g. an "N" router.)
3) Get repeaters

I really like this product for use with laptops:

Wireless (WiFi) Internet Booster x10
$50
Better WiFi Range.com

Check out this article:
How To Change Your Wi-Fi Channel Number | How To Do Things

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb
My recommendation is to see if your router can be "stacked". I have Cisco/Linksys routers at home... one where the cable comes into the house, and one on the far end of the house. The second one is "stacked" onto the first one, which means it is essentially a repeater. The stacked router must be connected to the original router by LAN cable. Some routers cannot be stacked, and there are a few ways to set them up. Check with your router manufacturer, or do some google searching and see if yours can handle it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.