sleep mode not functioning since snow leopard upgrade...

Reaction score
Hey All, recently upgraded to snow leopard. ever since, my mac doesn't want to seem to go into sleep mode. i have screen saver set to go on after 10 minutes, and energy savings set for hard drive and monitor shut down after 30 mins.

when i come back to my computer after say an hour, the screen is on with desktop showing, no screen saver. perhaps another hour later, the screen saver will be on but not in sleep mode.

when i go to bed, i will manually put in sleep mode, and wake up in the morning and the screen is on...

only thing i have running is time machine, and before i upgraded to snow, time machine only backed up when the computer was on and not sleeping. it seems as if it wakes itself up to run time machine perhaps?

thanks for any help . suggestions...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try turning off Time Machine or just unplug your external drive. There is no reason to have TM running and backing up every hour anyway. Plug in the external when you want TM to run.

If that doesn't work, there may be something else that's preventing the machine from staying in sleep mode.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Totally agree with chscag.

One remotely possible solution is to go into Preferences - Energy Saver - and Untick "Wake for Network Access". Theoretically, this shouldn't make a difference, but worth trying.

Otherwise, and in addition, go with chscag.

Ian

Reaction score
Lots of posts about this on the support forums. iMacs won't sleep, won't wake, all sorts of issues. It's why I'm waiting before buying a new Mac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Are you using a wireless mouse? If so, try turning it off and see if that has any effect. I've found vibrations can keep the mouse awake, and in turn, keep the machine awake.

Since it only started since upgrading to 10.6, you may also want to try resetting the PRAM. This is done by powering the machine off. Then, power it on and immediately press and hold Command + Option + P + R. Continue holding until the system chimes twice and then release.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.