Macbook whines when charging

Reaction score
I just got a brand new 17" MBP and right out of the box, it whines noticeably when plugged in. The whine goes away when I unplug the power, but if you leave the power connected and turn the computer off, it continues to whine. Any suggestions? I don't live very close to an Apple store, so taking it in will be a bit inconvenient.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since the machine is brand new and a MBP 17" model is quite expensive to purchase, I'm sure you want to resolve the whining. Take it to the nearest Apple store. Call ahead and make an appointment first.

Reaction score
I understand it's inconvenient to drive to the store... I'm not sure how far it is from you, ours is about 3 hours so I understand the hassle... But as much as these cost, and as serious a problem as that could be, +1 for finding a way to take it in. Make an appointment as chscag said, they'll get you taken care of :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 i7, MacBook Pro 15 i5, MacBook 2.4, iPad, iPhone
Apple tired to setup a new mac addict with a "New MacBook Pro" Hahaha joke. Can't you turn on the computer at the apple store before you buy it?

Reaction score
No... As far as I know they will not let you take a computer brand new, still sealed in the box, open it, get your fingers all over it, and test it out. What happens if you decide you don't want it? That's why they have shelf demos. I guess you could open it and turn it on before you leave, but not before you buy it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If it is brand new though, as in within 14days since purchase, I believe in most if not all Apple stores worldwide, just like here in Australia, you can just walk into the store and they will exchange it for a new machine.

As much as my believe that this is world wide, I know that this is at least the case for Australia and America.

Returns & Refunds - Apple Store (Australia)
Apple - Legal - Sales Policies - U.S. Retail Sales

If you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase, return it with the original receipt and original packaging within fourteen (14) calendar days of the date of purchase. If the item is returned unopened, in the original box, we will exchange it or offer a refund based only on the original payment method.

Even though it says unopened, if it is damaged (faulty), it is accepted as a valid reason for being opened and returned, and the refund or exchange will still be honoured.

If you are a consumer and have purchased faulty or mis-described products, you should return them as soon as possible after discovery of the fault or mis-description. You must also provide the original receipt or proof of purchase. If investigation reveals the products as sold were faulty or mis-described, Apple will replace or repair them or provide you with a full refund.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.