Shutting MacBook down after logging out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

Maybe a simple question so please don't laugh, and possibly answered on the forum before but I can not find a relevant thread, also looked within Apple help.
When I log out of my MacBook IE Apple menu > logout is there a way to now shut the Macbook down, as it seems that I can only log back in or close the lid and put it to sleep from here, I admit I have not tried pushing the power button at this point.

It would be very handy when traveling to both log out and shut down, then if the unthinkable happened (theft) no one could access without some problems.

Would the disable automatic login command within security > general tab do the job? I have not used this command so am a little unsure about its capability.
But I assume from the wording maybe wrongly if the above command box is ticked then once the MacBook is shut down / turned off that when it is restarted you must login to gain access.

Guidance / reassurance needed before I change any settings thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
When you log off you should see your login screen, below where you input your password there should be an arrow pointing to the left, click that then you should have more options and a way to Sleep, Restart or Shutdown your Macbook.

Hope this helps.

- Simon

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Simon,

Thanks for you really quick answer, followed your instructions and all went fine logged out then shut down,:D

When I rebooted I was automatically logged in so do I now have to check the box within security > general tab disable automatic login.

Don t want to make a mistake and lock myself out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Glad I could help you out :)
You go into System Preferences > Accounts > Login Options, at the top of the box you should see a drop-down box for the options for automatic login to switch between on or off. Also have you got a password set on the user account? If not and you are wary about thieves I would recommend you set one up.

HTH
- Simon

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Simon,

Fantastic thanks again for easy instructions and very helpful hints. Have reset auto login to off, and yes have accounts passworded. I feel a lot happier now when traveling which is frequently every month.
Still have a great deal to learn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad it's all sorted and i'm happy to help :)
Any more question just ask, there are plenty of people including myself that are always happy to help you out, after all it's what we are here for ;)

- Simon

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have shut down and rebooted all is good.:D
I agree most excellent and friendly forum, and thus I have just used the reputation button as I have now with your help got a little more peace of mind, Thanks again.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem an Thank You for the rep :)

- Simon

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are most welcome, small price to pay for the peace of mind you have given me.:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.