Photoshop for Mac?

Reaction score
i never have used photoshop before, but i have a couple of things that i want to mess with.

sooo, i have a mac now, what do i use? preferably free;D

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD
or photoshop elements has a 30 day free trial period ... give it a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
or photoshop elements has a 30 day free trial period ... give it a try.

Photoshop Cs5 has a trail in case that is what you are looking for.

Good luck

C

chas_m

Photoshop runs about $600-700, Photoshop Elements about $100.

Seashore and GIMP are "nice tries" but not in the same league at all.

There's also Pixelmator, a more-than adequate poor man's Photoshop for $30 on the Mac App Store. Perfect for web-oriented use, and a bargain price.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
in my opinion, none of these alternatives are in any league with Photoshop CS5. the nearest is GIMP, but that is still nowhere near as good.

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks for the replies.

i'll probably try out the gimp or seashore. i guess i should have stated, i'm just goofing around. i am not going to be doing anything that needs to look professional.

C

chas_m

Ah well in that case you might like GIMP (if you can put up with the ugliness) or Pixelmator (eons more Mac-like experience).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
i'll probably try out the gimp or seashore. i guess i should have stated, i'm just goofing around. i am not going to be doing anything that needs to look professional.
Even for most people who want to do basic things the full version of Photoshop is overkill. Definitely try out GIMP first. Since Photoshop is so well known people automatically think that's the only option. I know a lot of people who only use 10% of what Photoshop is capable of so don't waste your money if that describes you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
thanks for the replies.

Hows about iPhoto...? It does have basic editing and effects...I've gotten some great results...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Even for most people who want to do basic things the full version of Photoshop is overkill. Definitely try out GIMP first. Since Photoshop is so well known people automatically think that's the only option. I know a lot of people who only use 10% of what Photoshop is capable of so don't waste your money if that describes you.

QFT! Photoshop is the best. There is no doubt about that, however, if you need it's more standard features and are already familiar with the interface, I think you'll find the gimp to be your best bet. It's incredibly similar to older versions of photoshop, such as photoshop 7.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.