I can't save any changes in word documents no more :(

Reaction score
Im using Microsoft Word 2008 til Mac (v.12.2.8).

When i save a word document, after adding new text to it, fig get the message that word has made an error. And then word shuts down. When I reopen the document, the new text, i tried to add, is gone.
This happens quite often, and has been going on for 4 days now.

I've tried to delete office, and reinstall it, and I've followed these guides::

Troubleshooting permissions issues in Mac OS X

( In the article above, I didn't do anything that stood after "Permission Allowed", considering i do'nt have the neccesariy skills for it).

Om funktionen Reparer disktilladelser i Diskværktøj

Microsoft support, says it isn't a software problem, and Mac support just send me these two articles.. But i can pay them for more service i guess.

Does anybody here know, what causes this problem, and how to solve it???
:\

Btw: I am currently able to save changes i a word document, IF, i save the document under a different name - but that's just a mess in the long run :Confused:

C

chas_m

I don't have a real solution for you, but there are no shortage of programs for the Mac that can read and write Word's format -- from TextEdit to OpenOffice -- so you should be able to at least "work around" the problem until you can find the time to uninstall MS Word (using their provided uninstaller!) and re-install.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you completely uninstall Office 2008 and reinstall it? Office 2008 comes with an uninstall application located in:

MacIntosh HD/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Additional Tools/Remove Office/Remove Office.app

Unless you use the uninstaller, it's likely that there are files and folders that were missed and can continue to cause the error. You can not just drag the Office icon to the trash as it won't properly uninstall.

Let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Before trying the uninstall, reinstall experiment, you might try this:
Quit Word. Go here: /Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/Microsoft
And drag this file com.microsoft.Word.prefs.plist to your Desktop.
Now go back into Word. Try to edit and save a file. What happened?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the advices guys.
Iv'e completely uninstalled and reinstalled office, and undoftunatly it didn't work out.
The idea of working around the problem did work out..however, microsoft-support finally(3.rd time i called), gave me a solution:
Word 2008 might crash if the string of subfolders for the document is too long, and i had a lot of subfolders.. So I deleted some subfolders - and guess what - the save function now works!

How should this help? I did consider it, but thought that, in some way, it might be risky? I'm no big expert on this ;)

Before trying the uninstall, reinstall experiment, you might try this:
Quit Word. Go here: /Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/Microsoft
And drag this file com.microsoft.Word.prefs.plist to your Desktop.
Now go back into Word. Try to edit and save a file. What happened?

Thank's for the advice!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back the solution. Actually, you did not have to call MS to find this info out about the long sub folder paths. MS maintains an on line forum for Mac Office and has MVP tech support available.

This LINK will take you there. You must register first. Keep this in mind for any future problems you may run into with Office. I've used their help and support several times myself. By the way, this is free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.