Second Guessing my Camera Choice

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks everyone for the input. It helped.

After a lot of consideration and reading reviews, I decided regardless of what decision I would make today, the decision I made last year was a good one at the time. And, what I would potentially gain by switching wouldn't justify what it would cost me to change at this point.

Having reached that conclusion I happily ordered a refurb Nikon AF-S 70-300mm VR lens from B&H, which should be in my hot little hands by this time Thursday. :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Thanks everyone for the input. It helped.

After a lot of consideration and reading reviews, I decided regardless of what decision I would make today, the decision I made last year was a good one at the time. And, what I would potentially gain by switching wouldn't justify what it would cost me to change at this point.

Having reached that conclusion I happily ordered a refurb Nikon AF-S 70-300mm VR lens from B&H, which should be in my hot little hands by this time Thursday. :)

Well you have do what you think is right. I think you will be happy with your decision to keep your Nikon camera. After all you already invested in those lenses and it's hard to jump ship when you are invested into something. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
IF you ever want to get into any DSLR video...the articulating screen is invaluable...and for your needs as Crimson suggested...the new T3i, or 60d look nice at the price point...and very good photography.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well you have do what you think is right. I think you will be happy with your decision to keep your Nikon camera. After all you already invested in those lenses and it's hard to jump ship when you are invested into something. >_<"
It helped when I went to KEH and got a quote for my D5000 plus lenses. Based on what I was quoted I would have been about $400 out of pocket just to pick up the 60D Body. Then I would have to replace my lenses (another $500 plus to start, depending on what I chose).

On the other hand, the Nikon AFS 70-300 only cost $350 w/free shipping and I don't have to relearn how to use my camera.

@Codda,
Not really that into video. Honestly what little I do I prefer to shoot with my Pana FZ28. But, I agree that articulated LCD is a major plus for video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Sounds like you made the right decision for yourself...also FWIW, I sold a Panasonic GF1 last month...and my best price came from BH Photo...it was actually quite a bit more than KEH....

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like you made the right decision for yourself...also FWIW, I sold a Panasonic GF1 last month...and my best price came from BH Photo...it was actually quite a bit more than KEH....

Thanks for the recommendation. Once I get my new lens I'll have a Nikon 55-200 vr that I no longer need. I'll see what B&H will offer for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
canon is way ahead of nikon in the pro world, FYI. and most of it is the L series of lenses. i don't know when you made the switch, but for a while they were back and fourth. canon has been on top as far as sports photog goes for the last few years. when you watch sports on TV, watch the sidelines closely, white lenses are everywhere. ;)

What does that even mean? And that FYI sounds really authoritative! I suppose you must be the utmost authority on said statistics ? As someone has already stated, the reason you'll see a lot of white lenses on sidelines, is because Canon for years has had contracts with major corporations and as a kickback, gives them a lot of free bodies. And at the pro level, of course you're going to get L lenses.

You will however notice a lot more Nikon's these days, as more and more companies and freelancers are moving over for several reasons. In sports, the predominant reason is because Nikons AF system has been reported to be far more accurate and faster. Better low noise vs high ISO ranges is also another biggie. But I digress.

A pro would be served equally well with either system given that they know how to actually handle the equipment. And in order to be able to do that, you have to be comfortable with the ergonomics, physical control system and menu system. And that is where the real differences are made apparent. And in that regard, to each their own.

I'm sure that the quality of my work would be quite the same were I to shoot with Canon gear, but I can't stand Canon's menu system, and am not comfortable with any of the body's button layout. The ergonomics suffer due to this as well.

@Stanley
Nikon is sort of the Apple of DSLR cameras in some ways. A purer vision in focus. Nikon is kind of a camera and chip making equipment only company. Lots of scientists and engineers work there. Techies. Sony is a big consumer products company. Canon makes lots of other things like printers and fax machines and big copying machines. NASA takes Nikon into space all the time.

That just sounds plain ol' silly man. Engineers or scientists don't work over at Canon's labs ? OMG... I knew it ! .. Elve's make their cameras ! Seriously dude.. come on now. And um, I hate to burst your lil' bubble but, did you know that Sony does the fabrication of the CMOS imaging array for a few of Nikons CMOS sensors? They also manufacture Nikon's sensors, entirely now.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Nikon is sort of the Apple of DSLR cameras in some ways. A purer vision in focus. Nikon is kind of a camera and chip making equipment only company. Lots of scientists and engineers work there. Techies. Sony is a big consumer products company. Canon makes lots of other things like printers and fax machines and big copying machines. NASA takes Nikon into space all the time.

I started out using Canons due to the hype on dpreview. Shot thousands and thousands of images per month. Then I change over to Nikon as they are just layed out better for my purposes.

Canon is very marketing oriented. Their big company award day is on Pearl Harbor day BTW. They came out with white lenses and gave many to sports pros so they could be seen using Canons at a distance. Now there are tons more Nikons out there too.

I just found Nikon to be a more serious company for photography. And check out CaptureNX…it is easier to use than any other program for complicated image changes. Look at their tutorial videos. Things that would take many layers and steps in Photoshop you just do intuitively by clicking on the photo where it needs changes like zipping up a blue sky or something like that. And you can get event photography nailed with the same "look" from all of the cameras you use using CaptureNX. You can even get the same look out of ancient Nikon raw images (NEF) using NX, so that they match the latest equipment…and with no real effort.

Worrying about an articulating screen? In a few months of serious DSLR use you'll look back and laugh at the notion.

Sony makes Nikon sensors.

White lenses are allegedly to reflect light so that heat won't cause issues with optics in the lens.

Canon is about optics and because they make more than photography equipment does not mean they're not serious about it. They're completely serious about making top tier photography equipment. If they weren't, then they still wouldn't be in business.

If nikon = apple, then nikon users = apple users? Trying to pull excuses to justify the manufacture that they choose to purchase from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I use a Canon Rebel T1i. I liked the Nikon, but I already had Canon lenses and didn't want to deal with switching. But for me, I'm far from being a pro, so it wasn't a big decision.

It does seem that the preference of the better photogs here on MF is Nikon, at least from what I've seen in the past. But I'm also pretty sure that preference is based on comfort level with the system, just like with computers. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
IF you ever want to get into any DSLR video...the articulating screen is invaluable...and for your needs as Crimson suggested...the new T3i, or 60d look nice at the price point...and very good photography.

Not really. An external monitor or a loupe serves serious videographers more than an articulating screen ever will.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I ended up starting a Nikon vs Canon battle after all despite my best intentions.

For the record I like both, and though I love my D5000, if the 60D had been out when I bought my camera I would have chosen it instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Sony makes Nikon sensors.

Just to clarify: Sony manufactures Nikon sensors. Nikon designs the sensors specs down to the wire. There are a few sensors however, which Sony does the fabrication of the CMOS imaging array on, as I've already stated. Big difference. It's not like they're using the sensors which you'd find in their cameras.

I guess I ended up starting a Nikon vs Canon battle after all despite my best intentions.
Nah dude, not at all. There are just some who feel the need to justify their decisions. I usually justify mine by stating logical reasons such as "the ergonomics fit me better" or "I like the button placement better" or "I like the menu system better, hate the other ones". These are great reasons to go with one brand over another.

Reasons like "the magical pixi dust they use to make product x or y are just stupid. Because really, in the end.. any photographer that is worth their weight in gold, is one who can produce consistent results, and those results should come from concept, creative lighting, imagination and composition. This is part of how the photographer interacts with their model, or the angle they go for etc.. not the camera they chose. Sure, I can make a less noisy image with a better sensor capable of less grainy images at high ISO's, but I guess that wouldn't matter if the image its self was of a stupid brick wall... lol.

Of course there's also the matter of having a preference for the kind of detail and color tone which lenses tend to display, especially when matched with specific sensors.

As far as the articulating LCD goes, I find them to be useless 99.999% of the time. Whether it be for stills or video, if you need to use this feature, it means that the shot you need is somewhat out of reach, and this to me also means that you're likely to be uncomfortable while trying to get this silly angle for the shot, and also means that it will also be crooked, blurry etc..

Ya know what's fun though, and doesn't require an articulating LCD? A monopod. Hold that sucker above your head comfortably, and get a roving eye with a wide angle lens. Crop later if needed. This is of course if no other angle is available. But if you're the photographer.. you make sure to get it! It's your job! Push that annoying third cousin out of the way to get it if you must dude. :) There is one scenario where an LCD or live view can come in handy, and it still required an tripod. If the viewfinder is just out of reach. That's all I can really think of.

I have a camera with an articulating LCD, and it's really nice (Canon S3IS awesome camera) but in all the time I ever used it, never did I use the LCD. Articulated or not. I used the view finder because it has all the digital info on its internal lcd. I dunno, I tend to think that those screens are a bit gimmicky overall. JMHO

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I use a Canon Rebel T1i. I liked the Nikon, but I already had Canon lenses and didn't want to deal with switching. But for me, I'm far from being a pro, so it wasn't a big decision.

It does seem that the preference of the better photogs here on MF is Nikon, at least from what I've seen in the past. But I'm also pretty sure that preference is based on comfort level with the system, just like with computers. :)

I shoot Canon.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I shoot Canon.

I think it's pretty even here actually. We will see though. :p Nikon might win me over with their next full frame camera, or Canon might keep me with their 5DMIII. >_<"

Reaction score
I'm posting from my iPhone so I never reD all the post. However, coming from photography background, what you did was the right choice. Get lenses, more important than what body you use, plus the iPhone has an app to use liveview with. Very cool app, I wish it had a Sony app As well.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nikon 70-300mm vr just arrived

As far as I can tell this thing looks brand new. Took a few snaps inside and all appears well. Need some decent weather so I can test it out. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.