USB Power Adapter + Battery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
ok...i know im asking questions all over the place today...but i had the day off so its all coming out at once :)

i was wondering if there is any significant difference in the speed at which charging takes place when using the USB Power Adapter over charging via the laptop...

the only reason i ask this is because i dont have the adapter...& this other guy i once met who had an iphone 4 was complaining about how often he needed to charge it said his iphone charges in about 20 mins...which mine does not :\

so incase someone here can confirm faster charging with the adapter...then i might buy one...otherwise i dont think i really need it...

on a side note...my battery seems to drain pretty fast...maybe this is regular paranoia for someone cominf from a dumber phone...but yesterday i lost 3 percent charge while it was on charge! i really dont know how that happens?!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's a no - brainer. A good USB power adapter (I use Belkin) will charge your iPhone, iPods, etc, in about half the time it takes using the ports on your Mac. I like the Belkin model so much that I bought two; one for home the other for the office. If there's a Target store near by, check them out. Mine were $24.95 each - on sale.

OP
rohan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
hmmm...i was actually referring to the apple power adapter actually

but either way...now im interested in knowing...why is it a no-brainer? i dont know about the belkin...but if im not mistaken the one by apple provided 5V which is the same as a USB port...am i missing something?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
hmmm...i was actually referring to the apple power adapter actually

Hmmm...using the word "actually" twice in the same sentence. One of my pet peeves are folks that use the word "actually" too often & inappropriately.;)

...am i missing something?

Yes...WE are missing something. You're not explaining your situation/question in enough detail. What sort of charger are you referring to...other than charging the battery while in your laptop?

- Nick

OP
rohan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Aah...that helps.:)

I think that both "chscag" and myself thought that you were talking about charging your iPhone in these two ways:

1. Charging it with an external charger (like both you linked in post #5).

2. Charging your iPhone from one of the USB ports on a Macintosh computer.

I'm thinking that what "chscag" meant by a "no-brainer"...is that charging your iPhones battery via a separate "plug-in" charger is almost always better/faster than charging from a computers USB port...since the USB port on a computer generally is not that powerful.

BOTH of the devices you mentioned...are external (external to a computers USB port) devices for charging. So either one will be faster than a laptops USB port.

So charging your iPhone via an external charger (either one of the two your linked) will be faster than using one of the USB ports on a laptop.

- Nick

OP
rohan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well...i don't think the 1 amp version would be significantly faster...since it doesn't seem to have any technical advantage...no matter what is fed in...output at the usb port is still the same 1 amp & 5V

the belkin one however will make a difference

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.