iMac G5 (late 2006 version)

Reaction score
my family's iMac G5 (late 2006 version) won't start up! its strange what happens tho. i press the power button and i can hear some (sometimes low or high) pitched buzzing! but no start up sound, no picture, no keyboard or mouse connection, its really weird. ive tried plugging and unplugging the power cord, and ive tried plugging it in while pressing the power button! i tried a different power cord, all with no luck!! but here is the really weird part! i plugged in the power cord. then i pressed the power button and heard the buzzing, and then i plugged my phone into the computer and it showed thAT it was connected to the computer! then iu held on the power button for about 6 or 7 seconds and my phone showed it was connected to nothing! idk what ius going on, i just kno we need this fixed!! please help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like the power supply has failed alas. Looks like a trip to the Apple dealer but get a quote first before authorising repairs.

First however try resetting the System Management Controller as set out in this Apple link:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 i7, MacBook Pro 15 i5, MacBook 2.4, iPad, iPhone
Might be power or you can even try replacing the ram. Has the computer been really slow lately?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5in iMac
I had exactly the same problem. In my case it was the logic board. Alternatively, it may be the power supply.

Your local Apple Service Provider will be able to help and, if necessary, carry out any necessary repairs. These are covered by an Apple 90 day warranty.

OP
G
Reaction score
hey guys, sorry i wasnt keeping up with the posts,m thanks for your advice everyone! :)we got a quote from PowerBook Medic and they suggested it was the power supple as everyone said. we bought a new one on eBay and it worked great! thanks again :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.