imac g5 - is it brain dead?

Reaction score
My imac g5 (2gHz, 2G RAM, Ambient Light Sensor model, OSX 10.4.11) went black on me two days ago while surfing the internet. I could hear the fan running, but no picture. I held the power button down for 5 seconds to force it off. But when I tried to restart, nothing. I reset the SMU per this article iMac G5: How to Reset the SMU. After, I pressed the power button and the fan starts, but nothing else. After about a minute the fans kick into high gear and start going really fast. There are no chimes or normal start up sounds. The screen stays black.
Then I found this article iMac G5: Troubleshooting when your computer won't turn on . After going through these steps, the fan comes on and the power light pulses, but nothing else and again after about a minute the fans start going really fast. When I turn the computer off and then back on only the fans come on, no pulsing power light. I reset the SMU again, turn it on, and get the pulsing power light again
The diagnostic LEDS were: 1 lit up before I reset the SMU. 1 and 2 lit up after I reset the SMU. 3 and 4 never lit up.
I replaced the back up battery, no change in imac's condition.
I fear it's the logic board and not worth fixing, but how do I know? Could it be the hard drive? How would I test it?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I think you've analyzed it correctly. From what you know now, it's not the hard drive.

OP
L
Reaction score
thanks

Thanks for the quick replies.
I'm glad you don't think it's the hard drive.

hb2448 - I had actually been to that site before I posted here. None of my caps looked bad, so I quit reading. I took the time to dig a little deeper and read that they don't have to look bad to be bad! I may just try this.

Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.