Purchasing a Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hey guys... so I "WANT" to get a Macbook Pro. The question is whether I can really afford one or not.

My maximum budget is $1000 and I'd really like the 15" model. Main uses for this computer would be graphics design using Adobe CS4. (InDesign, Illustrator, Fireworks, Photoshop, but I will be also using Dreamweaver and Flash heavily). Now, I could easily get a Dell Latitude E6510 that has a quad core i7, 1920x1080 LED backlit screen and what not, but it doesn't have the form factor, battery life (I assume), OS of a Macbook Pro...

So I'm narrowed down to whatever generation Unibody 15" Macbook Pro I can find at or under $1000 (which seems impossible for me at the moment). I would get a 13" but the 1280x800 resolution is extremely limited for me (I Just sold a Latitude E6410 which had the 12x8 screen)...

Am I making the right choice, or should I just go with the Latitude E6510? and is there even a way to score one of the 15" models for under or at $1000?

As last resort, I might just get the 13 MBP 320M or 9400M GT, or 13 MBA 9400M GT. I come from a i5 540m CPU, will I see a significant drop in performance from the C2D 15", 13" MBP, and the ULV 13" MBA? (Oh my dell had integrated intel hd gfx yuck)

Thanks so much

** Another option is to get a Penryn Early 2008 (T9300) Based Macbook Pro. Which has the plagued 8600M GT... Is that a ticking time bomb even if the seller said Apple has replaced it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey guys... so I "WANT" to get a Macbook Pro. The question is whether I can really afford one or not.

My maximum budget is $1000 and I'd really like the 15" model.

This is sort of an easy answer.

If $1000 is your MAXIMUM budget...the lowest cost NEW 15" MacBook Pro is $1799. So buying a new MBP is impossible. The Apple online Store also has refurbished 15" MacBook Pros...and the least expensive one currently available is $1529. So buying a refurbished 15" MacBook Pro is also impossible with a max. $1000 budget.

Pretty much your only remaining option (with a $1000 maximum budget) for a 15" MacBook Pro is to purchase an older/used 15" MacBook Pro (e-Bay or Craig's List).

As far as should you go with the Dell computer. This is really a personal decision. You REALLY have to decide whether you want to work with the Mac OS or the Windows OS.:)

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
I know it may not be possible, but... You're soooo close to being able to get one! Why not save just a little longer and buy either a brand new one, or a refurb? :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know it may not be possible, but... You're soooo close to being able to get one! Why not save just a little longer and buy either a brand new one, or a refurb? :)

This is certainly the best option to make the purchase possible...save a little bit longer.:)

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
i wish i could... but I don't have a job at the moment. im a broke *** college student lol

OP
H
Reaction score
I was thinking about that, but I think I'd really like a notebook more than a desktop.

I mean, the 13 MBP isn't a slouch by any means... it's light, decently fast, has good battery life, and has Mac OS X, only bad thing is the screen resolution... if it had 1440x900 i'd be all over it. 15" I think would be perfect for me that's all because of the 1440x900 resolution screen. I wish it did have a 1680x1050 or even 1920x1200 by default though.

Would you strongly go against the decision of me buying a Penryn T9300 8600M GT non-unibody Macbook Pro 15?

there is a member who I offered $1035 for his 15" Macbook Pro Unibody, he might sell it to me... If so, that's great. Although he said there is a minor dent/ding on a side..

another thing i could do is i could totally cash out my savings and short something in the market lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i wish i could... but I don't have a job at the moment. im a broke *** college student lol

One of the worlds oldest stories...someone wants to purchase something, but doesn't have enough money.

We all have that problem...and it will be with you most of your life.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Oh no doubt :) As a student I am certain a notebook is far more useful than a desktop, it was just a suggestion :)

The 13 inch MBP is certainly not a slouch, you're correct! The battery life is outstanding. I understand the resolution isn't exactly as you'd like, and that is a big concern. You want to be happy looking at the screen, naturally.

I don't know of any problems in particular with the non-unibody MBP's, I have read about some sag in the body of it after some time/use, but I really don't know, surely someone will speak up about it :)

Personally... (This is just my opinion!! Not meant in any way to say anything bad about any users here selling their used computers, or anyone on ebay or Craigslist or anywhere else!) I would not buy a used Apple computer, except through Apple Refurb store, unless it was an amazing deal. Chances are the person selling to you would honestly not know of any problems! But the kicker is, say they have 8 months use on it. You buy it, and tomorrow it just dies. The display goes dead, the hard drive goes out, whatever. If you're on a tight, 1,000 dollar budget, and pay 1,000 for a used computer from a random person/store, and it dies, you're out 1,000 dollars + whatever it costs to repair it, which if you are not working, who knows how long that could be, right?

Through the refurb store, if you spend all your 1,000 dollars, and it has any problem (unless you drop it, spill something on it, etc.) Apple will make it right. It will get repaired for free, just like a brand new one. It has the same warranty as if you buy a 10,000 dollar Mac Pro. And later if you come by some cash, you can buy Applecare for it too, anytime in the first year you own it, and extend that coverage to get you all the way through college! It's the safest way to buy as a "broke" college student ;) That's just my personal opinion though :)

(Edit: also, as a college student, you are eligible for the student discount! It may not be a lot, but it's something!)

OP
H
Reaction score
you have a good point... that's one thing i didn't look at... (Spoiled by next business day dispatch courtesy of Dell Latitude support XD)

I'm trying to sell some crap I don't need at the moment try to get some extra money in... and i'm still considering shorting out some stocks XD

Thanks so much for your replies. In-depth, extremely courteous, and helpful!

Reaction score
Everyone here is happy to help you! :) Just don't get yourself in a bad situation trying to buy a Mac :) College is the most important thing you can do for yourself, so if it's going to put you in a bad way to get a Mac, just get what you need to get by, Macs will always be around later :)

Best of luck!!! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.