Problems setting up d-link router.

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have just reset my router but and now I would like to name my wireless internet and put on a password. I have a zyxel router that's not wireless so the signal get's send out by a d-link "box" with antenna. The problem is that I can't reach the setup menu for the d-link part. I have been told that I should connect the d-link box to my computer with a cable and then go the the menu by writing an ip-adress in my browser. But when I try that safari just says that there's no connection and the exclamation mark appears in front of the sign in the top corner of my screen.
Can someone help me? :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I assume you have used an ethernet cable to connect to the DLink? This is what you need, then open your browser, type the routers address (192.168.0.1 normally for DLink).
Once in, type the password (normally admin) and you go into the menu and you're away.
This may be what you have done, but you haven't been specific.
Please come back with a bit more detail and we can help more.

OP
L
Reaction score
I have tried that with different ip's but safari just says that it couldn't find the server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Reboot your DLink router and try again.

OP
L
Reaction score
Tried that as well but it still just says that it couldn't open the page. And the exclamation mark appears in the status line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would try in Firefox or another browser rather than Safari, and are you certain you have the right IP for the DLink?

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, Kevriano. It turned out that I was using the wrong IP (mine is not the common one for d-link). I got into the d-link menu by using a cable but then I needed to be online to navigate in the menu - then I took out the cable from the computer and connected d-link to the router and then I could work in the menu. Now it's all working perfect with the SSID and password but it seems like my roomie and I can't be online at the same time. Do you have any idea why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, if you all set up wi-fi then you should both be able to access no problem (provided the passwords are right of course). I have 4 things connected to mine almost permanently. Odd.
How are you both trying to connect - laptops?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.