mac osx start problem

Reaction score
I just took my mac apart to clean the dust, i put it back together and all i get on the monitor is the finder face and a question mark in the middle of the screen . this happened once on me lap top and i pushed control-command and something else but i forgot what it was. help would be appreciated, thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
What Mac do you have?

It means that the computer can't find it's start up disc. Try starting with the Option key held down and see if it gives you a choice. If no luck, see if it will start from the install disc and see if your hard drive shows in Disc Utility.

Of course, you now realise that you should have just lived with the dust.

OP
S
Reaction score

i have the old half basketball osx. the dvd drive door doesnt open so i cant insert a utility disc.

OP
S
Reaction score

yes i have an imac that about 6-8 yrs old. it has the flashing question mark in middle of the screen. a couple of yrs ago my lap top did the same thing. someone on macforum told me to push something like control-command-delete-and a number or letter but i cant remember the exact combination but it rebooted the computer. ive tried numerous combinations but havent found it yet

Reaction score
It sounds to me like you have not reconnected the hard drive. Why not try what MightGem told you to do and hold the Option key down while starting the machine.

If that fails - take the machine apart again and check the hard drive power and data connections.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
someone on macforum told me to push something like control-command-delete-and a number or letter but i cant remember the exact combination but it rebooted the computer.

That sounds like a PRAM reset: Cmd-Ctrl-P-R (I think) during a Restart. It does not initiate a Restart.

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks for all the help. i had already tried the option key while restarting. i double checked all connections and tried the cmd-ctrl-p-r. nothing working so far but i do appreciated all the advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OOps! I almost had it right:

Shut down your computer. Turn the computer back on and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R, continuing to press until you hear the startup sound for the second time. This resets the computer’s parameter random-access memory (PRAM).

Not saying that's what you need to do, just what your description might have been.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.