2010 Macbook Pro - Charger no longer working properly, Can I get a free replacement?

Reaction score
I got my macbook in late october or early november and for the past couple of days my charger has been acting up, it won't charge unless I manipulate the lead into a specific position, i don't have to hold it, so it isn't so bad but any kind of movement more than typing makes it stop charging, I have a feeling it's going to completely stop working by the end of this week. I think there must be some kind of loose connection, I'm not entirely sure.

I've had a macbook before so I know how careful you need to be with them, especially with where you put the brick, since 2007 I had been through about 4 chargers because they're just awful, I've found these L chargers to be less bad than the T chargers with the overheating problem, but this has only lasted 3-3.5 months without any major overheating?

My question is, does apple replace these chargers for free considering it must be a manufacture fault? I'm still under warranty, I however don't have applecare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Call and ask them or contact the store you bought from.
I'd say it's unlikely, because they could say it's suffered accidental damage (even if it hasn't), but you won't know unless you ask really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
As long as you're within your 1 year limited warranty, and there's no physical damage to the charger or cable (such as ripped insulation, a dog chewed on it, etc), they should replace it under warranty without any problems.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm going to say that "technically" the Applecare warranty is only supposed to cover manufacturing defects...so the BIG question is, is the charger suffering from a manufacturing defect? Hard to say. Just take it to your local Apple Store (hopefully you have one)...and see what they will do.

They're usually pretty flexible...so as long as there's no physical damage to indicate some sort of "abuse"...there's a good chance they will replace it.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
When my charger began to bare the wires between the transformer brick and the actual Magsafe adaptor, I simply took it in to my local Apple store and they replaced it with no questions after checking my serial number to see if I had Applecare. You may have a different experience, but I reckon when it comes to mains supply and the possibility of someone getting hurt, they will probably act for you benefit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.