Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be determind :D
So I am a proud PC owner, however i have been looking to upgrade my computer...(its a good 3 years old) I work with photos and videos for various company's -a lot of the programs that i work with is...photoshop, and if i get a mac Final Cut Pro...I guess what i'm asking is...Those who went from a PC to a Mac...are you happy with it? is it worth it?

I'm looking to possibly getting the 15" MBP i5.

PLEASE ANY COMMENTS OR TIPS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Another reason why i would like to go to mac is well...one of the Company's i work for has ALL programs mac that i can get for NOTHING - so that in its self will save me thousands... :-| so....a mac? OR PC?????

Reaction score
No one can make the choice for you honestly... Naturally here we're all (or most all of us) are going to be pro Mac. The best thing to do is just weigh them against each other after fairly trying a Mac. Go to a Mac store if possible, or check out a friend's or something. I have never had problems with Windows as far as an OS. I have to use it at work, and I can tell you honestly, and fairly, that coming home to a Mac or even getting to take my wife's MBP to work is just... relaxing. There are none of the problems or maintenance issues plaguing the Macs that often do the PC. But Macs are not quite as flexible, in the sense that not as many software manufacturers write programs for OS X. But with the popularity of the iOS, it seems more people are being drawn to the simplicity and elegance of owning a Mac, and they are starting to get more attention. There are even some popular games available for OS X now, that run quite well.

There are pro's and con's to both. Only you know which has more pro's, or more con's, to you. The only tip I can give you is think really hard about it. If you're happy with Windows, there's really no reason for me to give you, to change to Apple. But if you're unhappy with it, or just want something easier, something that just works, you can't go wrong with Apple. That's not to say Macs never have trouble, but it's quite rare. They build ONE version of ONE OS, (no "professional" or "home premium" etc..) and the machines are designed around that OS. None of the thousands of hardware component variations you get with Windows PC's. So naturally, they are more stable. Apple bends over backwards to please it's customer base. To show how far they go... I ordered some items from them just over a week ago. I paid for next day shipping, and even (still...) I have yet to receive them due to weather. Apple called me a couple days ago, wanting to make it right. I had not even complained yet.

There are many pro's to Apple. Probably many con's through the eyes of someone that doesn't like them. I won't bash Windows, but I'll never buy a Windows based PC. Working with Apple is simply too pleasurable and gives you so much freedom. Only you know what works for you. Like I said, if you're already happy, there's no reason to move over. But if you're looking for something, Apple has a lot to offer! :)

(Edit: I work with my wife and I's photography company on the side, and we also edit video for customers. When it comes to photography and graphic design, and video, any multimedia really, Apple is top-knotch. Just walk into any serious photography company, video editing, or music production company, and guess what type of computers you will find. There's a reason for that ;) (Not that Windows based PC's can't, but Macs are simply amazing at these things, it's their bread and butter )

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:-/

Well hears the thing...I work at best buy, now right about now your prob thinking...why in the world would i need advice about computers when I WORK in the COMPUTER Section lol...the irony right? Well the location i work at...well we DON'T actually sell mac there!

I know Computers inside and out...and to be 100% honest MAC is WAY over priced!!! you can find a 8gb of ram 1tb i7 pc for about 1200...how much is the mac?? like 2600...Spec for spec the mac is 2X the cost of a pc...now i understand that the mac has alot of cool neet little features...such as the track pad...and screen, along with the aluminum design...but thats not worth 1400... Lets be honest it's way over priced. the same possessor, same ram, same graphics card...same internal EVERYTHING is in a 1200 PC...

SO wile the price turns me off from it...i have to say for MOST people what turns them off from it is (programs/compatibility) I for one LOVE the programs that you can get with the mac...such as Final Cut Pro... and i also do IT work where having one would just be NICE to be able to Screen share and get things done.

I already have a nice PC - laptop and am very happy with it! however i think having the best of both worlds might be good...maybe i'll bite the bullet and get one...Hmmm thanks for the advice!

Reaction score
Macs are not overpriced. This is a common misconception. When you buy a Windows based PC for half the price for similar spec, you are buying a machine that is built from an entirely different mindset. Apple's customer service, for one, is top notch. Everything from the box the Mac comes in, to the build quality of the machine itself, is outstanding. It might sound like fanboy preaching, but only the experience of buying one can prove that to you. They put so much care into the smallest detail. They build the machines to last for years, and to be productive for years. I may have paid $3,000 dollars for my iMac, but I'll be using it, quite efficiently, for at least the next 5 years or more, without a need for upgrading. When you buy a 1,000 dollar Windows PC, there's no guarantee it will be able to run the next OS from MS. Just look at say, XP to Vista for example (I know it's a bad one, but it's just an example.) When Lion comes out, my iMac will not struggle in the slightest. When the next 2 or 3 or 4 versions of OS X come out, I am certain it will run them fine. There is no buying a program, and worrying on the way home if it will work with my drivers/hardware. None. And if there is a problem, it's addressed by Apple immediately.

What I am trying to say is, at face value, Macs may seem to only offer "flashiness" for the money. It's so much more. Should my Mac have a problem tomorrow, whether it's a 20 dollar fix for them, or a 2,000 dollar fix, I can rest assured for the next 4 years, I won't have to worry about it. (unless I do something stupid to cause it). They do anything they can. If it can't be fixed, it's replaced. If it's fixed and breaks again, they bend over backwards to get it right. You will not walk in or call in to Apple for help, or warranty work, and get a snotty attitude or half done work.

You pay for so much more than the machine when you buy them. That's what the cost is from. Not from "flashy looks". It's not the same as a Windows based PC. They may both use intel processors, WD HDD's or whatever, but they are nowhere near the same, on any level (honestly.). That's not to bash Windows based PC's, they are built with an ENTIRELY different mindset. Different doesn't mean better or worse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I know Computers inside and out...and to be 100% honest MAC is WAY over priced!!! you can find a 8gb of ram 1tb i7 pc for about 1200...how much is the mac?? like 2600...Spec for spec the mac is 2X the cost of a pc...now i understand that the mac has alot of cool neet little features...such as the track pad...and screen, along with the aluminum design...but thats not worth 1400... Lets be honest it's way over priced. the same possessor, same ram, same graphics card...same internal EVERYTHING is in a 1200 PC...

Actually, spec for spec, quality of build, and integration of parts and OS, it is actually comparable in price, in fact, comparing to a Dell and some others for instance, at times cheaper.

Add to that the lack of crapware, coming preinstalled with pretty much all the software that most will ever need and more, the software available at far less a premium than compatible Windows versions, and no need to shell out for anti virus software.
Add to that the amazing level of customer service and post sales support (yes there is such a thing as post sales support still, and Apple provides it), there is not much to compare.

Comparing a Porsche to a Kia comes to mind :D

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Forynerf youre

Ok - heres the thing though...Now i'm prob going to go on and get a mac...so take what i say as a contradiction lol.

Alright - I am the LAST person to look at the "flashyness" of a computer!!! am proud geek when it comes to computers! and i can tell you INSIDE the computer the parts are the same...it's the cold hard truth...however...with that said...the OS is Obviously different! along with the build of the keyboard, mouse, screen other features. But ask your self is that worth 1200? maybe like 2-3 hundred but NOT that much! I have had my PC for 4 years and had little problems with it..

And customer service with apple really doesn't matter to me, I know that sounds bad...but EVERYTHING i buy will be from Best buy for obvious reasons lol...*cough* there accidental coverage...lol thought i would put in a plug for that...haha but in a all seriousness you cant tell me that the OS, and some neat, well made cosmetic features are worth 1200?

also - if there built so well why need consumer service lol. just kidding...

I would tell you what the AT COST value of the macbook pro is...but i dont want to lose my job :D Because best buy is awesome! :)

Reaction score
See, here's the thing... We can't convince you of that. If I buy the Porsche 6string mentioned ( :p ) I can't convince you that it was worth it to me. Not everyone wants it, not everyone cares. I don't care about the flashiness of it. I just meant to say that most often, people think that's where the money comes in. What's useful to you, may not be to me. What's useful to me, may not be to you. We can't convince you of the 1,200 dollar more price tag. No one can. There are Windows based PC's far less powerful that cost far more than a Mac, in some cases. People buy them, it's what they want. They work for their money, and it's their right to do so! :)

We can't convince you of it. We can't justify it. It's up to each individual to decide for themselves. My experience with Apple over the years has been amazing. There's nothing you can say about the cost difference of a Windows PC or the experience at Best Buy, to convince me to buy one, or from Best Buy (I am by NO means bashing your workplace!! Or saying you are trying to convince anyone to buy there!!) I'm just saying, my experience, is what makes the cost worth it to me. My experience, is what makes me buy them through Apple.

You just have to decide for yourself :) And justify it (or condemn it) for yourself!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
! am proud geek when it comes to computers! and i can tell you INSIDE the computer the parts are the same...it's the cold hard truth

That's your cold hard truth, so I'm not going to waste my time trying to tell you that your opinion is not "cold hard truth!"

you cant tell me that the OS, and some neat, well made cosmetic features are worth 1200?

Once again, this is not all you are paying for, but hey, .... your "cold hard truth!"

I think this thread is just a trolling going on in all honesty, but if the OP wants to do a little research into it, I think there may be some learning to come from it :p

I'll leave others to waste there time here and stay out of it from here on end. :)

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed...with that said though...when you pay out more money, you have it in your head that what you have bought is premium above other models of pc's

not to mention that Apple makes there brand as exclusive as they possibly can!
it makes you feel like your special...to me a logical guy puts that crap aside and looks at the cold hard truth and wile it is over prices...the only reason i think i'll get it is really JUST because there are cretin programs that are (exclusive) to mac... and i have customers who have a mac and it's nice to be able to come COMPLETE compatibility when dealing with them!

But i would have to give props to apple for one thing...out of all the hundreds of PCs out there mac makes what 3 laptop models? Air, macbook, and pro? that is kinda nice...they have a good, better, and best choices.

well i will have to see about this Mac bug going around and seeing if it's really worth the grand i put into it extra....

Hey thanks for all your replies !!! Very helpful...keep em' coming. i have 4 weeks till i make up my mind.

Reaction score
That is absolutely not true. I (and I am sure no one else here) have no misconception that what I bought is premium over anything else, for anyone else. Or that it makes us superior, or more special people. There's nothing wrong with Windows, or wanting one. it may be premium to me, because I wanted it. Same as a Windows PC whether it cost 300 dollars or one of those 5,000 dollar rigs, is premium to it's owner because it's simply what they wanted!

The average Mac buyer doesn't feel special because they had money to spend. You're completely false in the "over priced" arena. The "cold hard truth" is that the hardware is not the same. The i7 processor in my iMac might be the "same" as the one in a Dell, or whatever, but the machine itself has far superior build quality compared to other items of the same price range, designed to every mm to work with everything inside, flawlessly. That's worth something to some people, worth nothing to others. As I said, I can go to any of the major PC manufacturer sites, and build a machine that costs as much, nearly as much, and in some cases much more, than the Mac line.

I have to tend to agree with 6string. The tone of this thread is like trolling. You asked for honest opinions, then want to convince everyone that they bought the wrong item, from the wrong source when an opinion is given. If that's your feelings on it, that's fine :) I'll have to respectfully bow out too. I'm not trying to say you are a troll, just the tone makes it seem likely. I really hope you're here to learn, and that whether you buy a Mac or not, you learn what you're looking for :)

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Trolling...haha

@6string

Haha, i'm actually really looking foreword to getting a mac.. i have heard nothing but great things about the computer to be honest...and anything bad people have said was really alot of garbage based on little evidence...Just mac haters doing there thing...

i for one cant wait to try it out and see how it goes...Thanks for your input. this back-and-forth is actually really helping me out...i dont want to just drop 2,000 before asking around. It's one thing looking at specs and seeing numbers...but the experience has something to be said of it's self. and thats what i'm looking for here...

as a mac OWNER...how has it been.

Reaction score
It's great that it's helping you out! :) You'll find that most people here have nothing at all against Windows PC's, or any stores such as Best Buy :)

You shouldn't drop 2,000 dollars before asking! Hope no one put you off with the troll talk, but it's very common around here to find them... :)

As a Mac owner for several years now, I have been impressed with every one of them I've had. And all of them (going back almost 10 years... ) still work just as good as they did the day I bought them. And the customer service (I know that doesn't matter in your case) has only gotten better. There are certain issues, people do have problems with Macs and other Apple products. But, if you go into it trying to say "can it do what Windows can" or "Show me something Windows can't do" you're going to just be disappointed. They are entirely different products designed with entirely different mindsets to do (sometimes) similar tasks, and in some cases, entirely different tasks.

Being a Mac owner is about as painless as it gets. I have to use Windows PC's at work daily, and I have no real problem with them. I just like the way Macs work better. Even our home business, working on the Macs, it... doesn't feel like work. Like I said earlier, it's just the entire experience. From unboxing to day to day tasks, it's just a different experience. But not everyone wants it, or feels that way :)

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trolling...interesting, no i just thought it was funny...
I make it a habit of asking all the tough questions and way the options...but you know, even with the price...the small things really make big difference...However I still am a little hesitant but hey! You all have been great! i officially know where to go if i have any problems or tech questions all things mac!

And for the record...i'm not out trolling to cause some kind of argument agents mac...I for one am a happy PC owner...and looking to be a happy Mac owner :)

So out side of the computer its self...i have a good idea the model and everything i need...what else is a necessity when getting it? i was thinking like a snap on glove type thing..like body armor for the computer??? good, bad?

Oh hey, one more little question for all thoes who have an Android Phone...i use Mobile Hot Spot...would that work fine on the mac??? i would guess the IP address wouldent effect it... but if anyone uses it let me know...because thats how i get my internet on the go and is a big deal!

Reaction score
Whether you stay PC or come over to the Mac side :p I hope you get what you're looking for with your next buy :)

As for accessories, it really depends how you're going to use it day to day! But I'd definitely get protection such as a shell or sleeve, or even just a screen protector. Whether you buy the cheapest computer, or the most expensive, Mac or Dell or Gateway or whatever, you're investing hard earned money into it! Protect it!! :)

As for the hot spot question, I have no idea, I've never used that, but I am sure that someone here can speak to it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
I know Computers inside and out...

Oh hey, one more little question for all thoes who have an Android Phone...i use Mobile Hot Spot...would that work fine on the mac??? i would guess the IP address wouldent effect it... but if anyone uses it let me know...because thats how i get my internet on the go and is a big deal!

Sorry, this made me chuckle!

;D

The Mobile Hot Spot app(s), set your Android device up as a Wireless AP, so any device with WiFi (and the correct security options) can connect. Windows, OSX, iOS, PS3, etc.

We had both my HP (Winders©) and MBP (OSX) running concurrently through my SGS (running aOS 2.2) with pretty decent throughput (include services like VPN/Cisco/etc).

FTR, if you're talking about a direct connect tethering option via USB, then you need OS specific drivers.

[edit]

I also wanted to add to the main topic: Apple is about end-to-end experience which includes the purchase, support, OS, design, quality, details, etc. Someone already mentioned Porsche and that's a great example. While you may buy a [Corvette] Z06 and get raw performance on par with a 911/TT, the material quality, driving involvement, dealership experience, etc., isn't the same.

It just depend on how much "value" (word used is very loose terms) you assign to the more abstract/subjective merits.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol I should of said...i know PC's in and out :D haha iv worked in IT for just about 4 years but never once have i had to pull apart, or do any programing on a Mac... I Feel completely retarded when it comes to them! - i'm good with the hardware....but as far as the mac OS/compatibility...not so much lol...

Thanks for the info! Big help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
No problem.

Another thing I don't recall seeing in any of the posts, is with a Mac, you still have the option to run Windows!

You can use Bootcamp (provided right OOTB) to boot the machine into a standalone Windows machine (basically a dual boot between OSX or Windows).

Alternately you can use one of a number of VM solutions to run Windows with/under OSX! This is was I'm doing, using a Product called Parallels (~$65 from Amazon). I have a virtual Windows machine that can run full screen, or in a Window _or_ in a mode called Coherence where each Windows app runs in a native OSX window. Plus you share resources like drives, the desktop, network connection, etc. I've got Office '10 (Win) running perfectly on our MBP, but use OSX native apps for Web/Email/etc.

It's that very option that will probably cause me to make the switch too (the MBP is the woman's new machine) when my HP runs out of steam :D

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright! ONE LAST THING!!! As i'm getting closer and closer to buying my MBP i was thinking about getting it within the next few days HOWEVER!!! I thought i read somewhere that Apple was coming out with a new one...now i dont want to buy one and then a few days or weeks later a NEW model comes out!!!! So dos anyone know if this is true?

If it is true, Can anyone tell me the specs of the new model????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
First... I was once a diehard Windows user who bashed Macs as overpriced status symbols. Then I had to get one for work and eventually, it won me over and I'll NEVER use Windows as my primary OS again. Some Windows machines are much cheaper than Macs, some are at least as expensive. If you spec a Windows PC to match the quality of a Mac, that is not just the internal parts (which are configured to run OS X most efficiently) but the screen, the iSight camera, the light, clutter-and-blinking-light-free casing, little touches like the Mag-Safe adapter, etc... it usually comes within a couple of hundred dollars of the same price.

Add to that the main draws, OS X itself and iLife, plus the fact they're virus free and don't require any anti-virus software running scans and constantly giving you warnings and updates... it's worth every dime to me. Also remember that Apple doesn't have deals with other hardware manufacturers like Windows does. A niche company is usually has to charge more.

Anyway, it won't happen overnight and it may not happen at all. but it's worth a shot. Give one a try at the Apple Store. If price is really a factor, try a refurbished one from the Apple website or even from Amazon.com. Also you can always install Windows on it if you miss it that much.

No one ever really knows any details concerning updates until the official announcement is made. But the rumor mill has an update being announced in the next two weeks, and it seems to make sense to me. So wait a couple of weeks and continue to weigh the options.

Remember, it's not just about specs, it's also about how the OS uses those specs to give you a more efficient computing experience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.