imovie 09 crashing issue - please help!

Reaction score
Hi There

I am a newbie to digital technology so I hope this makes sense....

I have a major issue with imovie 09... the movie I have been making for the past year which is now 25 minutes long crashed a few times - this happened after I downloaded a nokia phone transfer application to transfer the videos from my phone to the computer. I am not sure if this has anything to do with imovie crashing however, once I removed the videos from iphoto, imovie at least opened up again. Currently I can still play my movie in the viewer in imovie if i hit the spacebar, there are lots of weird speeded up sounds and noise issues but the clips are all there.

The first clip thumbnails are in the left hand viewer along with sound bars and transitions etc... however, i cannot scroll down as the arrow on the scroll bar is missing.

Unfortunately the "My Passport" that I bought to automatically back up the movie doesn't appear to be working either. I didn't know about time machine until yesterday and didn't have it turned on.

A year of my life has been spent on this movie, I have been very naive not to back it up lots of times, I have learnt an important lesson. I really need to rescue this movie..... If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. I just spent an hour talking to a mac helpline guy but unfortunately he wasn't able to help.

Thanks in advance...

Amelia

Reaction score
advice from Apple Care

I have been having the same problem and spoke today with a rep from Apple Care. Here's what he told me. Quit iMovie; go to Computer > Movies and move the iMovie Projects folder to the desktop. Open iMovie; create a new test project using film footage from the Event Library. Try to export it or to do whatever you were doing when it crashed (selecting Titles below a certain row in the Titles window made mine crash as well as exporting). If you do these things and iMovie does not crash, the problem is being caused by a corrupted movie project. (Although the rep wouldn't say so, iMovie is causing the corrupting--and the problem lies with the titles--more on this below.) Just having a corrupted project in the Project Library will make the program crash, even if you are working on a new project. You have to rebuild your file piece by piece, seeing if it exports after each addition to see if the new addition is causing the problem (choose tiny movie because it's quicker). I managed to retrieve all the edited video plus transitions by clicking on a film clip in the corrupted project and selecting all and copying it and importing into a new project (though in between, I had to open and close iMovie to drag that corrupted project back to the desktop because it kept crashing). I discovered that one particular kind of title--Organic Main-- was making the project and program crash--not all of the titles. When I tried to add it back to the rebuilt project, it crashed; when I went to the old file that was corrupted and tried to delete that title, it crashed. When I tried to delete the clip that had that title on it in the old project, it crashed. The transitions I used worked fine (though not sure if all of them would). Music, photos, film clips, etc. all fine. The problem lies with iMovie and it needs a fix! But I was able to rebuild my project--minus the style of title I like--and export it using this method.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.