Upgrade from 8gb to 16gb in i5 iMac?

Reaction score
I do most of my stuff in iPhoto & imovie & I do leave both open all the time along with Safari, mail, etc. Will I see an appreciable difference if I go from 8gb to 16gb?

Thanks.

Reaction score
The only way to really know is to open up Activity monitor and look at the RAM usage when you're working with all of that. If you're not using a large percentage of your RAM, as far as I know it won't matter if you add 16GB. If you're using say, at most 4GB of your 8GB of RAM, then you'll still only use 4GB of the 16GB. (I could be wrong, but that's my understanding...) Now, upgrading to 16GB is certainly not useless, it will help "futureproof" your machine a bit longer :) But if you're not using it all, you probably won't notice the difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
The only way to really know is to open up Activity monitor and look at the RAM usage when you're working with all of that. If you're not using a large percentage of your RAM, as far as I know it won't matter if you add 16GB. If you're using say, at most 4GB of your 8GB of RAM, then you'll still only use 4GB of the 16GB. (I could be wrong, but that's my understanding...) Now, upgrading to 16GB is certainly not useless, it will help "futureproof" your machine a bit longer :) But if you're not using it all, you probably won't notice the difference.

Short and sweet... "Seconded" :D

- Simon

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
thirded. however i dont think you will see much difference right now. imovie and iphoto arent the most taxing of programs to run, and you already have a good 8GB of ram to go with, so in my opinion there is really no need to upgrade further.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
When looking at Activity Monitoray particular to the page in and page outs. If those two numbers are rather high it means a growing amount of data is being read/written to the hard drive. A certain amount of activity is inevitable the question is how high does it go over time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
If you are thinking about just trying to boost speed you might consider a ssd. It definitely helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.