Is there A Music Player that will play .flac files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Glad it's sorted. Please report back if it is unstable or plays up a bit in Snow Leopard, just so that we know for future reference. Thanks.

OP
pokermaniac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD
I'll report back with a review. It seems the problems is when you create Playlists with this version. I usually don't create them. However, so far, it's great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I've taken the time to re-visit Cog. The one thing that is troublesome is the fact that it hasn't been updated in years. At any point, some change in Apple's OS code may have the potential to break some functionality in Cog.

Setting that aside though, it is working just fine for me, mostly. I had no problem creating the main playlist. Pokermaniac, I'm not sure if you know this but here's how to easily populate the playlist with your entire library:Look at the screen shot. The only thing I don't like is that it takes a little while for all of the playlist info to populate.

But I'll be honest, I'm going to start using Cog for now too. It's definitely less resource hungry which is great for multitasking. It also utilizes the keyboard media keys, which is great. So I have you to thank pokermaniac, for bringing this to my attention again. Well, and of course Kevarino. ;)

Doug

Screen shot 2011-02-11 at 11.54.16 AM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
OP
pokermaniac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD
Thanks for the screenshot Doug.....Just so you know, there are other versions of Cog. You can go into Preferences > Updates, and choose whether you want to update to stable (the current version), unstable, or nightly builds. :)

Edit: Sorry. I assumed that the unstable and nightly builds were updated recently......My bad

OP
pokermaniac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad it's sorted. Please report back if it is unstable or plays up a bit in Snow Leopard, just so that we know for future reference. Thanks.
Just to report back after using Cog for a few weeks. It's been working fine. Only glitch was once, it started playing a little distorted. All I did was close the program, and then open it again, and it was fine.

As was stated above by a Poster, they don't update stable versions often. And, I haven't had to even bother creating a Playlist to see if there is a bug with it in Snow Leopard. But all in all, it is very light in resources, and it sounds great! :)

OP
pokermaniac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can also try Vox. That's what I use. Give it a try.

Vox :: The Lightweight Music App for Mac OS X
I need a little help here....The first time I clicked on the 3 horizontal bars in VOX, I was able to access all 4,000 of my FLAC songs. I chose an album and listened to it. Now, It looks like it created a Playlist when I click on the 3 horizontal bars.....How do I access all of my songs again in VOX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Stopped using Cog sometime more than a week ago. It's just a pain in the butt and doesn't play nicely with all my tags, thus putting things in a whacky order sometimes. Plus it just lacks too many features such as changing metadata from within the app, which SongBird does.

Checked out VOX and um.. .I just don't get it at all. I can't even figure out how to get it to add my library. All I could see was how to add individual files. Sticking to Songbird, which works perfectly and is able to watch folders for changes. I don't care if it eats up 20 more MB worth of memory. No reason not to use it, it never crashes, never stutters and is always being updated. Plus it works with apple keyboard media keys.

Doug

OP
pokermaniac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks......I finally figured out how to create another Playlist in VOX, but you're right, it's kinda tricky. I do like the availability of all of the settings. Cog is a pain in the butt, and pretty quirky. I'll stick with VOX for now and keep SongBird in mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Such a shame COG is not being updated any more. I will no longer recommend it based on your experiences (Doug and Poker).
VOX I will have to look at.
Glad everyone has been posting back though - helpful.

Reaction score
A solution

Well after searching for quite some time, i think i have found a solution to mac flac problems. I have tried everything mentioned on this thread, and all of them were pretty crappy compared to using winamp on windows. I do realize this thread is a little old, but i found it while googling so i'm sure someone else will.

Anyways, I have found a player called Clementine. Works on all platforms, including OSX Lion. Clementine Music Player I was able to flawlessly import flac files off of an external drive over the network (it is connected to a different computer as a server) and play them with ease. The only other player that was able to do that was cog, and i found it pretty crappy. This has a file tree on the side showing all of your albums and you can easily navigate through MANY albums, artists and etc. with no problem. You can also search for a specific band, song and such. You can change buffering, cross fading, and much more in the settings. I had to do a bit of changes to get it how i wanted it and it is great. No lag at all. It is a bit more of a larger application processor and RAM wise than other applications, but i don't think its a problem these days. I strongly suggest the app, i am very glad i found it and it is by far the best mac app supporting FLAC that i have used. It isn't bulky, but isn't too light to have no functionality. Truely, my only problem is that my albums are sorted by folders, due to so many meta-data differences, but that is mainly my own fault. Clementine uses meta-data, as it should.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.