iPod touch fell in water, screen slightly unresponsive

Reaction score
My iPod was dropped into a full sink of water... completely submerged for less than a second a few weeks ago. It shut off by itself, and like I've read everywhere online, I left it sit in some dry rice for about a week.

After a week I plugged it in to my computer and it began to charge, and then it turned on shortly after... all my apps and music and settings intact, played perfect and everything.

Only problem with it is that the screen sometimes becomes unresponsive. The home and power buttons work fine, but as the screen will work fine immediately after it's turned on, sometimes it will stop responding to touches, and sometimes it wont. Sometimes it will keep responding as long as I need it to.

A few things I've noticed about it... sometimes once it begins acting up, pressing on the screen harder will make it respond, sometimes it doesnt matter how hard I press. Also, usually turning it off (putting it to sleep, not all the way off) and then unlocking it again will make it work again fine for a few seconds, but more often than not I will have to reset it again within a few touches just to continue what I was doing. One more thing, I have a rubber protector for it, just a plain rubber sleeve with cutouts for the screen/port/headphone jack. The screen will be unresponsive when this sleeve is on, or when it's laying on a surface. If it pick it up or take the sleeve off, and the iPod is actually in contact with my hand.. it will work.. but usually becomes unresponsive again anyway and I need to do my reset trick to continue.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that it's the whole screen, not only certain parts.. I know I read somewhere that sometimes specific parts of the screen can be broken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Try putting it into a warm dry place for another week, like an airing cupboard or boiler cupboard.
Could be some residual water in there. If you are feeling brave enough you could take it apart and give it a good clean/dry out.

Hope this helps
- Simon

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm kind of confused as to why you made a thread about this. Sounds like you are blogging about your iPod. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Yeah I thought the same thing, not really a question in there more of a statement, kinda why I didn't go into detail about my response incase it really is a blog :p

- Simon

OP
F
Reaction score
Well I apologize, I guess in the long-windedness of the explanation I forgot to actually phrase out the question in a literal way. :p

The question and point of my thread is "What is wrong with my screen and does anybody have suggestions on the best way to go about fixing it?" lol

But I've already moved towards Simon's suggestion, Thanks Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anytime, keep us posted on what happens, i'm sure we can help further.

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.