MBP Stopped working on Samsung HDTV??

Reaction score
Hi All.

Newbie on this forum!

Im having an issue connecting my Macbook Pro 15" i7 2010, to my Samsung HDTV. Up until last week, it was working fine. I connected it via a MiniDisplay Port to HDMI. I used to just plug and play!

I vageuly remember I either put laptop on standby or shutdown whilst it was connected to TV, and then unplugged it, and am guessing it somehow messed up settings to show its still connected to TV after I powered it back on.

But ever since, everytime I connect to my TV now, screen is either blank, or says "Mode Not Supported", or even says "No Signal". ??

Please help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums
Try resetting your PRAM and NVRAM. Details at Apple's website...

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Post back what happens.
Hope this helps
- Simon

OP
macumer
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation. I just tried that, and still no luck.

Im getting "No Signal" more than "Mode not supported". It hasnt even been 6 months since I had this miniDisplay to HDMI Cable Adapter, so do you think that may be faulty? Becuase when I insert it into my macbook, the screen flashes blue and the SAMSUNG display preferences popup as it is detected?

I dont have any other HDTV's at home to test it on.

I tried all display settings too: 480p, 780p, 1080p...etc, but to no avail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Do you know someone else who has a MB/MBP? You could try the cable and adapter on theirs to test it. Or if you have an apple store close by and ask really nicely they may let you test it there, I have done this before, fluttered my manly eyelashes at them and they let me (probably more to do with the store being almost empty at the time though lol) :D

- Simon

OP
macumer
Reaction score
I do know someone who has a MBP but he lives about 40 miles away lol.

Ill book an appointment at the Apple Store and speak to them. I have one nearby.

I'll try flashing my eyelashes for them to test too lol.

Thanks for assistance Simon.

- Umer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anytime, post back and keep us informed of the situation so we can help further if need be.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No probs :)

HTH
- Simon

OP
macumer
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just an update. I went to the apple store to get it checked, and the guy tested it with their HDTV with their own MiniDisplay port cable.

They told me that it was receiving a connection but wasn't outputting, and that means the port on the hardware itself needs changing.

Since my DVD Optical drive was messed up, they said I needed a complete systemboard replacement, which they did in 3 days! And voila, it works again. :)

Thanks for the help though guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad it's all sorted out

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.