iMac Dust under screen

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I have an iMac and have started to notice dust collecting in the corners of my screen.

It is a slightly darker area on the screen and I think it is dust or some form of marking - i do not think it is a backlight problem.

The unit is far out of warrenty - does anybody have a good guide on opening + cleaning the inside of an iMac screen?

Cheers,

OP
R
Reaction score
Serial: W86372WLVUV
Contains: FCC ID:QDS-BRCM1024
Assembled in China: EMC NO. ::2118
IC:4324A-BRCM1022
Model Number: A1207
2006 I think...

Reaction score
I've got no experience with that model... I stayed silent hoping someone that knows more would chime in, and they likely will still :) All I could find from a quick google search was this... Installing iMac Intel 17" Display - iFixit Now... I am not suggesting you follow the guides there, I have never used them, but it's the best I can offer with no experience on that model iMac. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a better answer for you :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 i7, MacBook Pro 15 i5, MacBook 2.4, iPad, iPhone
Some air from the fans might be coming inside the computer through the LCD screen. The glass is really easy to take out and clean it out with a really thin cloth.

OP
R
Reaction score
Ok - can you post a guide on how to get into the screen and clean it safely? It may well be easy - but only when you know how!

Reaction score
Hmmm... Looking through that guide, it looks like the display/glass are one unit on that model? I thought the glass came off with the front bezel... Similar to how on the newer iMacs the glass is independent from the display underneath it... Apologies if I was wrong.

OP
R
Reaction score
Having taken the main casing off I have decided its probably screen bleed :'( So it will be a replacement panel if it becomes a problem - which it doesnt look like it will be at the moment.

Reaction score
Oh, sorry to hear that :( I hope it won't be a problem! Was it difficult to get the casing off? ( Just curious :) )

OP
R
Reaction score
It was a bit of a pain getting the 2 top latches undone to be honest but what more to expect - its about as much of a pain as undoing an xbox 360 case if you have ever done that!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.