Add text or notes to bands/songs in iTunes?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if its possible to add texts to stuff in your library in iTunes? If i would like to add a review of an album or maybe write down notes about members and stuff, is there an function to do this, or maybe an app?

Is it possible to add more than one picture to the cover. If i like the artwork of any album and would like to enjoy it as i listen to the songs from itunes, can i add multiple pictures?

Jonas :)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
well you could either put it where the lyrics go, or in the comments section of the song.

you get to these with cmd+I, or right click, get info.

you can add multiple artworks this way too. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It is possible to add text to the iTunes information. There may be a better way but I usually add it to the comments section. Here's how I do it:

1. Launch iTunes and select a track you want to add additional information to.
2. Get Info on that track (Command I).
3. Select the Info tab and add any comments/text to the comments field. There is also a separate tab for lyrics if you want that option.
4. When done click OK.

If you select multiple tracks in step 1 the information you enter will appear in all of the tracks you have selected. I don't know if there is a limit to the number of characters in the Comments field. I generally use it for short bits of information such as alternate Genres for songs that fit more than one category.

BTW The text that you enter is searchable and can be used as the basis for Smart Playlists.

There are several metadata editors out there that might make this process even easier. I haven't used them much so others may be more helpful on that score.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thaks for the replies.

I didn't thought about using the information fields. But now that i did it some times it seems pretty natural and easy. The only thing is, that you can's se which songs you added information about.

What i thought would be a really nice solution, was to enable multiple pics in the art window, but use the front cover as standard for coverflow. Then maybe some icon could appear where you could add or read text. That would be really intuitiv and quick.

This works fine though :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think I have a way tovsee the songs you have added comments to. it's a bit of a opiate I think it will get things done. I am not at the Mac now so I can't give you the specifics but here goes:

There is a menu option within iTunes that controls which tags (artist, title, etc) show when you are viewing the library. I think this is in the View menu but dont remember exactly what it is called. If you tick the box marked Commemts it will become visible.

EDIT The option I am thinking of is in the View menu under View Options

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.