iMac's And Video?

JRV

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new computer and I was just wondering if the new iMacs were capable of handing HD video editing?

Reaction score
They are indeed. If you get a lower spec iMac it might be slow, but perfectly capable. I use my iMac for HD video editing both for family movies, as well as movies for my wife's clients. Never has so much as a hiccup.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Macintosh computers have always been widely used in the graphics & video industries (for years & years & years). So I would think that if Mac's are good enough for the Pros...they should be just fine for the rest of us.;)

Of course Mac Pros would be the best Mac for video editing...but iMacs for years now have been very powerful as well.:)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
they are probably one of the best computers for HD editing on a mid range budget.

C

chas_m

Walk into any professional video-editing house. Count the Macs.

Nuff said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Walk into any professional video-editing house. Count the Macs.

Nuff said.

There may be several. There may not be any. What would this accomplish, exactly? I'm afraid enough was not said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I can edit HD video on a MBP 2.8GHz core 2 duo without much trouble - so any of the latest iMacs have much better specs than that. Scrolling through the HD with Premiere CS5 is smooth. I do have 3 drives connected - 1 SSD through the express slot, 1 usb and my internal drive when doing real editing - but I can do quick edits with just the internal drive. (Haven't done anything feature length but 5-10 minute cuts with my full setup, and maybe a quick post to facebook/flickr ~90 seconds with nothing external connected)

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
Thanks for your help everyone. Your answers have helped a lot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.