Single-User Mode, fsck problem

Reaction score
Hello,

So I need to repair my disk, but am missing my OS cd, so I was reading about running "fsck" from the single-user mode command line. The problem is, when I'm in the command line from pressing cmd-S at startup, the command:

Shell> /sbin/fsck -fy

gives me the error "fsck is not recognized as an internal or external command, blah blah blah"

Also tried running without the /sbin/, without parameters, nothing works.

I'm running 10.6 Snow Leopard. Any ideas?

Thanks!

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes I have thoroughly read that apple page, hence why I am trying to use fsck at all.

And yes, that is the command I used. the "Shell>" part that I typed is just the prompt that the command line is giving me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Don't type Shell at all.
Reboot holding down the Apple and S keys, let the text load, then just type fsck -fy and hit the return key.
Keep doing that until it says the HD is ok.
Type reboot and hit enter. Done.

OP
J
Reaction score
No, guys, I'm not typing "shell" in the command. That's the prompt. Meaning, before I type anything it says "Shell>". I'm a fairly experienced linux user (i.e. lots of command line), so I'm not stupid enough to try and type my own prompt. I only typed it in my first post to demonstrate the entire line that showed up on the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Well that's very odd then. I've not ever seen that show when running fsck.
Have you run disk utility from your HD, and run permissions and disk repair?
Granted if there are issues it will not repair the disk, because you need the install disc for that, but it may help.

Reaction score
Are you using REFit by any chance. I stumbled upon this thread in google, cause I had the same problem. It turned out that exiting the shell (which is the REFit one) and selecting the mac boot disk, then immediately holding command-S gets you into the proper single user mode where you can then use fsck.

Good luck!

Reaction score
I had the same problem.
Have multiboot with refit and need to repair my disc with fsck.
The solution is to press f2 while the MACOS disc is selected in the refit boot screen.
Then you access the single user mode and perform a fsck -fy

Reaction score
I had the same problem.
Have multiboot with refit and need to repair my disc with fsck.
The solution is to press f2 while the MACOS disc is selected in the refit boot screen.
Then you access the single user mode and perform a fsck -fy

I love you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.