Hard drive upgrade questions

Reaction score
Ok, I'm a total computer novice, so i'm asking you guys for advice on this issue. I've almost maxed out my 120 GB hard drive on my Macbook. I'm looking to upgrade my hard drive but I don't have a clue where to start. What is the largest size hard drive I can get? Where is the best place to purchase it and what kind of price would I be looking at? I bought this Macbook new in May 2007. Also, after I decide on which hard drive to get, should I have someone install it for me, or is there a place I can go that will provide detailed instructions on how to do it myself? Any advice you guys can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Eric

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
iFixit has instructions on how to replace and repair. You just need to find your model. OWC, and newegg to find a HDD. You need a HDD that is 2.5" Wide, 9.5mm heigh. SATA. The RPM and the size is up to you.

OP
A
Reaction score
iFixit has instructions on how to replace and repair. You just need to find your model. OWC, and newegg to find a HDD. You need a HDD that is 2.5" Wide, 9.5mm heigh. SATA. The RPM and the size is up to you.

Ok, thanks for the input. I looked on OWC and I found this one here that I kind of like, but I don't know anything about Seagate. Are they pretty good hard drives? They seemed cheaper than some of the other brands, but they were the only company that offered 7200 RPM and 750 GB. If Seagate isn't any good, what brand would you recommend?

Here is the link:

DIY KIT: 750GB 7200RPM HD for MacBook,... (OWCYST9750420AS) at OWC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have always found Seagate to be reliable, but then all leading brands, Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi etc are much of a muchness. The three year warranty with Seagate is attractive and make sure you register the drive.

OP
A
Reaction score
...make sure you register the drive.

Thanks for the reply. I think i'll go ahead and pull the trigger on the Seagate drive then. What do you mean by "register the drive"? How do you do it and what are the benefits? Sorry for the dumb questions, but as I said earlier...I'm not very knowledgable about computer stuff.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What harry means is if a warranty or registration card comes with the drive send it on in to Seagate. However, based on my own experience with buying drives, they seldom come with a registration card. Usually the manufacturer can tell by serial number and batch number when the drive was sold and if it's still under warranty. Just make sure you keep your sales receipt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You can register your new drive online here:-

Support | Seagate

Most manufacturers use a similar online registration system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.