A few basic questions about LR 2.7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" quad-core iMac, 8GB RAM, 2TB HD...15" MBP w/ 4GB RAM...etc.
Hi,

I know LR edits RAW files. Is this the default? I mean when you import files from your DSLR are the files imported as is. Through the RAW converter arriving in LR still as a RAW file?

Also, how would I set LR to be the photo editing software that opens automatically when I hook up my DSLR to my iMac? I'm running iPhoto '11 with Mac OS X 10.6. I am pretty sure with iPhoto '09 (on my MBP) that I could select LR or Aperture instead from within iPhoto to be the editing software that opens automatically when a memory card is detected (e.g. in DSLR, reader).

Thanks.

Reaction score
i don't have answers to all your questions, but this is what i do.

i use LR2, and i store all of my photos (raw) on a 1tb external HD. i plug in my camera, and the image downloader thing pops up. i make a new folder on my external HD, select all the images and drag them to my new folder. i'm sure i'm doing extra steps here, but i've noticed that if i have my phone or even camera plugged into my iMac, and i open lightroom, it will immediately recognize that there are images on the devices. a prompt will show up asking if you want to import them.

anyhow, i know that when your RAW images are opened in LR, they are still raw images until you export them. you can even leave them as "original" if you want.

but try plugging in your camera, and THEN opening LR. you should be able to take them off the camera just like that.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks Lucky 7. I know that LR will notice I have my DSLR attached. Was just wondering how, or if I could, just plug in my DSLR or reader to my iMac and have LR automatically pop up. Not a big deal.

I suppose to set LR to open the RAW files as originals I'd go into Preferences.

On a side note I'm sort of miffed my Apple numeric keyboard's spacebar is squeaking. :) Guess I got the "mouse edition". :) If I press the centre. Which is where my thumb usually hits. Going to get a Steelseries 6Gv2 next week.

Reaction score
i don't understand your question about raw files? i just open them, and they're visible. i don't believe there are any settings you need to apply to be able to open/view a RAW file.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really Lucky7. I just imported 600 odd files from my CF card in my DSLR. When I view the files in Library the files have JPG extensions. Same when I am in Develop mode. How is it you're seeing DNG?

My question I thought was simple. When you import a RAW file into LR do you see the RAW file (w/ *.DNG)? For me the answer is "No" unless I didn't set something properly in Preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm confused about your question. But let me ask you this: What else other than the "original" files, would Lightroom have to use ? Are you shooting RAW+Jpg? I shoot RAW only, and that's what LR works with until (as lucky stated) I export them to my website, or to some other place on the web.

So what you want, is to have LR open up (from a closed state) automatically when you insert a card reader or your camera ? That's an easy one. Ready?

1. Go to your applications folder and open up an app called "Image Capture"

2. Do not import anything. On the bottom left hand side you'll see a box that says " Connecting This Camera Opens" (regardless of whether it's a camera or card reader.. I had my reader plugged in for that screen shot)

3. Direct it to Lightroom and quit Image Capture.

Done! I'd advise you to not use your camera for photo uploading for a couple of reasons. Primarily because it can cause file corruption more easily. Secondly, it's a lot slower to upload.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. I love LR. Using 3.3

Doug

Screen shot 2011-02-06 at 12.12.41 AM.jpg

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doug,

I'm about to kick myself. The reason I see JPG file extensions when viewing imported files is that I shot the photos in JPG!! LOL!!!

Did a test. Set my DSLR to RAW. Took a shot. And I did see the NEF (Nikon) extension.

But when I followed your steps for setting LR to auto open...or when I opened Image Capture there was no "connecting this camera opens" at the bottom left. All I see is a tiny icon to "hide details" or "show details". That's it.''

The reason why I'm using my camera to import directly is because my old Sandisk 12-in-1 isn't being read by my new iMac. Could be because I spilled coffee into the slots once. :) Or not. Just not being read. So I have to go buy a new reader like Sandisk's "dual slot" which I'm guessing supports 32GB 600x CF cards as shown on their website photo.

I have Mac OS X 10.6 on my new iMac btw. Maybe you have a different version of Image Capture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Did you put your card reader or camera into your mac when you opened Image Capture? It won't work otherwise. And yeah, coffee in the reader = baaad. Go get that new card reader already, it's been a week! I'm running 10.6.6, but I don't think that has anything to do with the version of Image Capture, or its capabilities to perform that specific task. It has always worked that way and doubt it would have changed.

As for shooting in Jpg.. yeah. Been there, done that too. That's why I just never bother to ever shoot jpg for any reason. I'd only shoot jpg if I were on assignment and didn't have time to do much or any PP. Like on the sidelines for a football game n such. Not saying I do that, but it's a scenario where shooting jpg and knowing your settings/camera really well is paramount.

Doug

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doug,

Yes I did plug my DSLR to my iMac when I had Image Capture up. No dice. Not reading my DSLR. Odd. It also didn't read my reader which is read by my MBP.

LR's recognizes my DSLR though. The import dialogue box does pop up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are your MBP and iMac running the same version OS? If so, do me a favor and see whether or not you can do the Image Capture thing with the MBP. If so, I'd say there's something else going on with your iMac. Also, have you tried a different USB port ?

Doug

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are your MBP and iMac running the same version OS? If so, do me a favor and see whether or not you can do the Image Capture thing with the MBP. If so, I'd say there's something else going on with your iMac. Also, have you tried a different USB port ?

Doug

No. I am running 10.5 on my MBP and 10.6 on my iMac.

Image Capture works on my MBP.

Not sure why my new iMac wouldn't be reading my reader or DSLR via Image Capture. But does read my DSLR via LR 2.7 no problem.

And yes I did try the other USB ports. No difference when using IC. Though I do know that 10.6 is picking up my DSLR. And iPhoto '11 when I set it as the editor to open automatically when a camera is connected. Yet nothing happens on my iMac via IC.

Any how, I'll just be using LR any how as my browser/editor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That does sound like strange behavior. It wouldn't make sense that an app would stop working in an updated version of OS X, unless of course the app wasn't updated properly during an manual update to the OS. By the way, what is the camera you're using? Perhaps relevant.

Doug

Reaction score
I'm about to kick myself. The reason I see JPG file extensions when viewing imported files is that I shot the photos in JPG!! LOL!!!

;) i think we've all been there before, haha.

i've been uploading via cable to camera for 4+ years now. never had a problem. i would get a card reader, but i don't see a point. plus, i don't need any more "stuff" on my desk. :D

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That does sound like strange behavior. It wouldn't make sense that an app would stop working in an updated version of OS X, unless of course the app wasn't updated properly during an manual update to the OS. By the way, what is the camera you're using? Perhaps relevant.

Doug

I have a Nikon D300 (not the D300s...even if they are virtually the same). Could it be IC doesn't support the D300? It's not that old of a camera.

But I do think I will still go buy the dual-slot card reader anyway. I find it a pain to always have to go grab my DSLR from the camera bag, hook up the camera-to-computer USB cable, then hook the cable up to the iMac each time. Then unhook it and pack it back up. Besides, I do have enough desk space for a tiny memory card reader. Could leave it connected. I only have my wired Apple keyboard hooked up. So 3 more open USB ports.

Reaction score
i just keep the cord plugged into my computer all the time. but i'm also running a 7 slot USB hub from the back of my imac also. that's the biggest fault of the iMac, imo. not enough USB ports. good thing my mouse and keyboard are bluetooth. lol

and it shouldn't have anything to do with age of your camera. i a rebel xti that is from '07, and i don't have any issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a Nikon D300 (not the D300s...even if they are virtually the same). Could it be IC doesn't support the D300? It's not that old of a camera.

Mmmm.... Gypsy woman tells me no, that's not it. Look at my screen shot again ;) Do you perhaps have another memory card with which to try this? I just want to troubleshoot at this point because it's annoying me!

Doug

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lucky7,

I wouldn't think so. LR 2.7 recognizes my DSLR. Just a little odd Image Capture doesn't. Not a big deal. I'll just open LR then plug in my DSLR or new card reader (that I'll be picking up...and probably always leave connected. Though I will be connecting a photo printer and scanner. So that's all the ports...till/if I get the bluetooth Apple keyboard later).

I'm planning to buy the wired Steelseries 6Gv2. The squeaky spacebar is sort of annoying me. It's like there's a squeak toy underneath. Plus I prefer the feel of a traditional keyboard button. Not this flat Apple key.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mmmm.... Gypsy woman tells me no, that's not it. Look at my screen shot again ;) Do you perhaps have another memory card with which to try this? I just want to troubleshoot at this point because it's annoying me!

Doug

With my version of IC I see 2 options on the upper left. Device & Shared. Had to click on Devices then my DSLR designation. THEN I saw the "connect camera with" on the bottom left corner. Along with each file listed to the right. With camera settings used per file. But mo Lightroom mention in the "connect to" box. So we're back to square 1 about trying to get LR to open automatically when it detects my DSLR or future card reader.

Tis odd IC doesn't see my DSLR. Yet LR does. As does iPhoto '11 (iMac) and '09 (on my MBP).

Reaction score
Lucky7,

I wouldn't think so. LR 2.7 recognizes my DSLR. Just a little odd Image Capture doesn't. Not a big deal. I'll just open LR then plug in my DSLR or new card reader (that I'll be picking up...and probably always leave connected. Though I will be connecting a photo printer and scanner. So that's all the ports...till/if I get the bluetooth Apple keyboard later).

I'm planning to buy the wired Steelseries 6Gv2. The squeaky spacebar is sort of annoying me. It's like there's a squeak toy underneath. Plus I prefer the feel of a traditional keyboard button. Not this flat Apple key.

gotcha. it does suck that there are only a handful of usb ports in the back. it's also annoying that the card reader is only 1 size. i've never even used it before. but i have my iphone, camera, 1tb HD, 250gb HD and a flash drive (for school) all plugged in via 7 port usb hub. my printer is on the other side of the room, connected wirelessly via airport extreme. i got tired of plugging and unplugging everything, so i went wireless and added the hub.

back on topic, i don't know how to help you with image capture. but best of luck. :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lucky7,

About IC...I actually don't really care. Will probably never use it anyway. :)

It is true that having only 4 USB ports does bite. I'm planning to add a Drobo external HD box but I can hook it up via Firewire 800. So I'm okay there. 1 USB for my future photo printer. 1 USB port for my future scanner. And 1 USB for a card reader (no CF on our iMacs...what gives??). Other than my squeaking Apple numeric keyboard spacebar I love the quad-core iMac.

Will eventually upgrade to LR 3.0 then download the 3.3 update. No hurry. And probably buy the CS5 upgrade too. Again no hurry.

I am however still wondering if I can't make LR automatically load as soon as I plug in my DSLR or put a card in my future card reader. As you can for iPhoto '11 and I assume Aperture 3.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.