Macbook slipped off bed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
No problems....at least nothing bad...yet.

Here's the deal: I fell asleep last night(passed out, rather) and had my laptop on my bed with me open. I have hardwood floors in my room and yes, it slipped off my bed in the middle of the night but I like halfway kinda somewhat caught it--ish.

Anyways I've been running it all day long, and have restarted it twice since the incident early this morning and so far have not had any problems(both software and cosmetics) and I have thoroughly examined it.

Here's my problem...when you open it and listen to the center-area of the hinge I can hear a "pop/click" sound.....would anyone have any clue what this might be? It's only 6 months old and has Apple Care on it so I plan on taking it to an Apple store to let them take a look at it...I just wanted to see if you guys had any input on it; thanks!

Reaction score
There's a good chance that the hinge is damaged. The only reason wh you would hear a clicking sound near the hinge is when the hinge is either popped out of its original place, or it's broken.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
Well I'll probably schedule to take it to the Apple Store this next week and get it looked at. Although I could look at it myself, no reason to if they're willing to do it for me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here's the deal: I fell asleep last night(passed out, rather) and had my laptop on my bed with me open. I have hardwood floors in my room and yes, it slipped off my bed in the middle of the night but I like halfway kinda somewhat caught it--ish.

Sorry to say it...far from the first time this has happened. Laptop do's & don'ts:

- don't drink around a laptop
- don't eat around a laptop
- don't use your laptop in bed (and fall asleep...or pass out);)
- do backup your hard drive
- do keep your cat away from the laptop
- don't insert mini CD's into a slot loading drive

Good luck,:)

- Nick

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Sorry to say it...far from the first time this has happened. Laptop do's & don'ts:

- don't drink around a laptop
- don't eat around a laptop
- don't use your laptop in bed (and fall asleep...or pass out);)
- do backup your hard drive
- do keep your cat away from the laptop
- don't insert mini CD's into a slot loading drive

Good luck,:)

- Nick

-dont use your laptop as a substitute eating surface (student life)
-dont use your laptop as a tennis racquet
-dont insert floppy disks into the slot loading drive
-dont leave your laptop in an oven

the list could go on.... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
If it is a popping sound that you hear then most likely it is the clutch cover. You will have to take it apart to see where it is catching the hinge. I have been able to bend a few of these back into shape.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.