Got my first mac today and need some answers

J

JScottDaniel

Hi, I just found this site and hope to get some useful information here. I had recently purchased a powerbook 17" and am trying to install some programs. I just realized that I can not install maya that I had purchased for my pc since it is an .exe file. I am wondering is there a way I can change the file so I can download it into my mac without having to purchase another one?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Sorry, there is no way to convert an .exe file to work on Mac. That is a windows file and will only work on Windows. You could look into VPC, but it would be better off to just run the program on a Windows box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Isn't there a Maya version for OS X?
If so, you should be able to ask them for an exchange from PC to Mac version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Avalon said:
Isn't there a Maya version for OS X?
If so, you should be able to ask them for an exchange from PC to Mac version.
Yes, there is a Mac version of Maya. The app costs over $2000 though. It is highly unlikely that Alias is going to allow an exchange(it is unclear when the OP purchased it) and I have a feeling that the OP is not willing to shell out another 2 grand for a new copy.
This is why I suggested just using it on the PC, under Windows.

OP
J

JScottDaniel

Thanks for your responses.

D3v1l80y is right that I do not want to shell out another $2,000. I will find a way to get it without having to pay.

Thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Contact the maker of maya. They may exchange the software, by you sending the orginal packing and it contents. After which they should send you out the Apple version. I would call them, it would not hurt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
D3v1L80Y said:
Yes, there is a Mac version of Maya. The app costs over $2000 though. It is highly unlikely that Alias is going to allow an exchange(it is unclear when the OP purchased it) and I have a feeling that the OP is not willing to shell out another 2 grand for a new copy.
This is why I suggested just using it on the PC, under Windows.

Hmm...well, a friend of mine had a similar issue with his Adobe software (was way over $2000 all together), he gave Adobe a call, explained them that he had switched to Mac. They told him simply to send in the original Windows versions, and got the Mac versions instead, paying only transportation costs for the package.

I'm sure that there is a way to negotiate such an exchange...if not, I agree that keeping the PC for Maya would be the best option...I doubt it'll run reasonably fast under VirtualPC.

OP
J

JScottDaniel

I have decided to keep the Maya on my PC and not to bother trying to exchange for mac.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.