Accounting software for mac

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
I need advice on other accounting software for my Mac mini than quick books.

Windows bigots like to spread the lie that "there is no accounting software for the Macintosh." So, a while back I started keeping a list of accounting programs for the Macintosh. It turns out that there are a bunch of accounting programs for the Macintosh, probably more than there are for Windows.

- MoneyWorks
(multiple versions available)
(A very impressive full-featured accounting program. Probably the first one that you should look at as a replacement for QuickBooks.)
http://moneyworks.ca/us/products.htm

- Accounted $70
Accounted | Real Accounting Made Easy

- FirstEdge $99
FirstEdge | Small Business Accounting Software for Mac

- AccountEdge $299
AccountEdge | Small business accounting for Mac

- Corona $65
http://www.designersdomain.com/corona/

- Express Accounts $80
Accounting Software for Small Business - Download Free, Win or Mac Accounting

- The Accounting Toolbox $19
Accounting Tool Box Software By G4 Publishing, LLC
G4 Publishing, LLC

- MacFreelance $40
http://www.macxware.com/site/products/MacFreelance/overview.html

- T_ACCOUNTING $175
Features | T_ACCOUNTING? | John MacMullin

- Vision X
LogiSoft Inc. - Business Solutions for Macintosh - Products

- PowerEasy ERP (for Mac OS X Server)
http://www.effigent.com/html/product_powereasy_enterprise.htm

- Connected Accounting $589 and up
http://www.goconnected.com/
http://www.accountek.com/index.html

- FileClerk
Accounting Software:Landrum Software's FileClerk * Systems

- Genesis Accounting
Genesis Accounting™

- MultiLedger from CheckMark Software, Inc.
CheckMark Software -- Payroll Software and Accounting Software

- Aatrix Accounting
http://www.aatrix.com/
https://www.aatrix.com/index.php/mac-home

- MacMoney and InvoicIt
http://www.survivorsoftware.com/

- Big Business
Small business accounting software for Mac and Windows including multi-user servers.

- FlexWare Accounting
MacAccounting Software, Inc.
FlexWare

- Accounts from Nano Software
Nano Software - Accounts

- Business Accounts
Accounting Software for Home and Business from Accountz | Accountz

- AcctVantage
Accounting Software for Mac and Windows - AcctVantage ERP

- 4th QuarterAccounting.
4th Quarter&reg Customizable Accounting Software

- JobOrder
JobOrder Business Process Management

- Appgen's MyBooks
MyBooks Professional Small Business Accounting and Finance
MyBooks Professional - Mac - Screen Shot 1

- Microphage/TRT (in French)
Produits Microphage inc.

- Intuit's Quickbooks Pro for the Macintosh
Mac Accounting Software - Mac Business Software by QuickBooks

- Hold-up
Hold-Up Personal Finance Manager
made in Switzerland.

- TinyBooks $ 69, Company-wide License $ 295
A simple, flexible, non-bloated, single-entry bookkeeping and accounting system for the Macintosh. TinyBooks is designed for Sole Proprietors, home and other small businesses.
TinyBooks (Macintosh Accounting), Games and more...

- Clients & Profits X (agency management software)
job production and accounting software designed especially for creative
businesses such as ad agencies, graphic design firms, and corporate marketing departments
Clients & Profits Worldwide :: Agency Management Software

- FinanceToGo $45 GONE?
http://www.fastforwardsw.com/products/financetogo/

- Business Accountz (Basic, Professional and Enterprise editions available)
Business Accounting Software - Business Accountz | Accountz

- Luca (donation requested)
Luca

- XTuple (free and open source)
xTuple | Open Source ERP for Mac, Linux and Windows

- Loops (in German)
http://www.computerworks.ch/Loops-Business-Software.loops.0.html?&L=1

- BusinessAccountingX (in Spanish)
BusinessAccounting X & BusAcc X 4.0.1

- Light2 and 3 (for government contractors)
http://www.ccas.com/page5/csware.htm

If anyone wants it, I have an even longer list of:
PERSONAL FINANCE PROGRAMS
(i.e. Quicken and Quicken substitutes)

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Reaction score
ANALYTIC Indirdin

I am in search of an accounting program for a small contracting business. I know that AccountEdge syncs with Dropbox. Do you know if any of the programs on your list also sync in the same (or similar) way?

I need something that can be accessed and updated on iPad and iPhone from the field.

Reaction score
Do you know if any of the programs on your list also sync in the same (or similar) way?

I need something that can be accessed and updated on iPad and iPhone from the field.

I'm afraid that without contacting each individual company and asking, I don't know.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Reaction score
I am also looking for accounting software, I look after the cheque accounts of two small sporting clubs and do not need a full blown package hopefully something that I can use to import data from bank sites with.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
I am also looking for accounting software, I look after the cheque accounts of two small sporting clubs and do not need a full blown package hopefully something that I can use to import data from bank sites with.

It sounds like what you need is a personal finance application, rather than an accounting application. Like Quicken:
Quicken® Essentials for Mac Personal Finance Software - Mac Financial Software
However, many Mac users have expressed disappointment with the latest version of Quicken.

There are about 30 competitors. I can send you a complete list if you like. But here are the top alternatives:

MoneyDance $40
Moneydance® 2010 - Personal Finance Manager for Mac, Windows, and Linux
MoneyDance Mobile (free)
Moneydance for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

iCompta (about $20)
iCompta : personal finance application for Mac OS X
iCompta : personal finance application for Mac OS X
There is a mobile companion version of iCompta for the iPhone/iPad, which syncs with the desktop version. ($5)
iComptaMobile : Personal finance application for iOS
iCompta 2 Personal Finance for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

iBank $60
iBank | Mac finance software, personal money management and small business application for OS X
iBank Mobile $5
iBank Mobile | mobile finance app for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch - add transactions, check accounts, sync to iBank 4 for Mac

SEE Finance $30
Scimonoce Software

iFinance $29
Synium - iFinance
iFinance Mobile for iPhone $2
Synium - iFinance Mobile

MoneyWell $50
MoneyWell - Personal Finance Software for Mac and iPhone
MoneyWell for iPhone $10
MoneyWell - Personal Finance Software for iPhone

Reaction score
Randy thanks for the links, I have tried most of the trial versions and it looks like Moneywell will be the one I will go with.

Reaction score
Randy thanks for the links, I have tried most of the trial versions and it looks like Moneywell will be the one I will go with.

Thanks for letting me know. It seems that MoneyWell and MoneyWorks are both really popular.

Reaction score
Accounting software that prints checks

Hi All,

This is a great resource. Does anyone happen to know if you can print checks from any of the software? I am a newly Mac convert.

Thanks,
Katie

Reaction score
What is best best book keeping software for a startup using Mac OS X?

Startup. Bootstrapping. I prefer to make a one-time investment in software than to incur a monthly recurring fee for something cloud based. I'm all about eliminating monthly fees lately. I have few requirements other than it be OS X; however I have Parallels so can run QuickBooks if that ends up being the only player in town, still. Should be simple to use. iPhone app version a plus but not required.

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is a great resource. Does anyone happen to know if you can print checks from any of the software? I am a newly Mac convert.

Sorry, Katie, I didn't see your post until now.

I don't know if you are asking for a full business accounting program that can print checks, or a personal finance program that can print checks. I'm assuming that you meant the latter. If you meant the former, let me know.

The following can print checks:

MoneyDance $40
Moneydance® 2011 - Personal Finance Manager for Mac, Windows, and Linux

iBank $60
iBank | IGG Software, Inc. | Mac finance software, personal money management and small business applications for OS X

iFinance $29
Synium - iFinance

Quicken $50
Quicken Essentials for Mac - Personal Finance Software for Mac

Reaction score
Startup. Bootstrapping. I prefer to make a one-time investment in software than to incur a monthly recurring fee for something cloud based. I'm all about eliminating monthly fees lately. I have few requirements other than it be OS X; however I have Parallels so can run QuickBooks if that ends up being the only player in town, still. Should be simple to use. iPhone app version a plus but not required.

From the term "startup" I'm assuming that you are asking which is the best business accounting program for the Mac. (i.e. not a personal finance program.)

I'd recommend QuickBooks/Mac, which is a pretty nice program, but so many Mac users are fed up with Intuit that I can't really recommend it.

There at a ton of Mac business accounting programs. I can send you the entire list via personal e-mail if you like. But the one that seems to be by far the most popular right now is:

- MoneyWorks
(multiple versions available based on business requirements)
MoneyWorks: Seriously Good Accounting Software
When you register MoneyWorks, they will send your accountant a free
copy!

Free video tutorials:
Moneyworks Cashbook Tutorial - Introduction - YouTube
Moneyworks Cashbook Tutorial 2 - Receipts, Payments, Budgets & Reporting - YouTube

Also popular:

- Accounted $70
Accounted | Real Accounting Made Easy

- AccountEdge Basic $99
AccountEdge Basic | Basic accounting for Mac small business

- AccountEdge Pro $299
AccountEdge | Small business accounting for Mac

A program that I think is often overlooked, but which should be considered:

- TinyBooks $ 69
A simple, flexible, non-bloated, single-entry bookkeeping and accounting system for the Macintosh. TinyBooks is designed for Sole Proprietors, home and other small businesses.
TinyBooks Pro: Ultra-Simple Macintosh Accounting and Bookkeeping Software for Small Business

Reaction score
When I swtitched to Apple I installed Windows under Parallels for two apps: OneNote and Windows Quicken. I have used Quicken for years and needed continuity with past records, and it works great for maintaining my business and our family accounts. Downloads from bank, writes cheques, lots of reporting options. I use it in conjunction with Windows Internet Explorer. Not double entry, and I have no experience with Quickbooks.

I did extensive googling hoping to go all-Apple, but from what I could tell Quicken for Windows was The most full-featured, best developed and supported. Just my personal observation.

Reaction score
So, which is the best full DOUBLE-ENTRY bookkeeping software to manage both HOME/PERSONAL finances (with investments account for istance) and SMALL BUSINESS finances (customer, supplier, invoice, ...), highly CUSTOMIZABLE (fields, reports)?
Any alternative to GnuCash?
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you go to any of the links in this thread? You can do your own research by reading up on the suggested apps.

Reaction score
Did you go to any of the links in this thread? You can do your own research by reading up on the suggested apps.

Yes, I went to all the links. Looking for small business features, you can't find investment management.
Moreover, I need to customize database fields and report.
Is there someone which had my needed and founded the right program?

Reaction score
Mac accounting software

I am considering changing from windows to mac and in doing so would have to start afresh with my accounting for my business. What would the best accounting software for me to purchase be? I need simplicity, speed and a system that enables free emailing. The most important part of our business as we have bulk customers is to manage orders and invoices at the time of occurrence. We have been using Attaché/Prophet DOS based since the advent of the internet. The DOS system is absolutely way faster in all aspects than their later Window's based systems. Their DOS system is incredible and can be linked with their Window's based system, so you basically get the best of both worlds in the least possible time, without ruining your wrists using a mouse which is also very slow. The problem with Attaché/Prophet is that they're charging so much per email in this day and age as businesses want their invoices sent prior to their statements and their charges are per email. This means that it would be more economical to do things manually and put the invoices with the statements at the end of the month and post them. What we are looking for is a system similar in simplicity and speed that will send our emails free of cost and/or at a minimum cost. At the moment we are probably the only ones using both DOS and Window's based Attaché/Prophet systems. Are there any new, simple, speedy systems that are Mac based that fit into the simple criteria above? Please note that the speed of creating invoices and receipting is the most important thing. At the moment we use Attaché/Prophet Windows based to write invoices, orders and most reports out and DOS for receipts/ cashbook/ accounts payable/ stock and accompanying daily schedule. And again for speed. For sales (mainly writing out orders and invoices) we have to use Attache/prophet windows based system which is okay but not necessarily as fast as their old DOS system. And we use MYOB for wages. We are looking for a complete accountancy system that will be as speedy to use as the Attache/prophet DOS windows based system without all the [bells and whistles] and we don't want to be charged for each email we send.

Thank you for any replies.

Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.