Faulty Logicboard?

Reaction score
Hi all - Thanks for taking a look and any possible help.

I have a 13" macbook (mid 2007) that recently died (I think). I've already replaced it, but decided to see if I could salvage it anyway. In short, I was using it fine, closed it, and 5 minutes later it never woke up.

I powered off, powered back on, the optical drive spins briefly, and I get a solid white light in the front (so I am getting some power), but thats it!

I have reset SMC, PRAM. I put the hard drive (mainly to recover) in an enclosure and that seems to work, I pulled out and reinsert the RAM, still nothing.

Any ideas? Or is it the motherboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Is it that the screen isn't coming on at all or that the backlight isn't coming on? You have to look really really hard to see if it is just the backlight but worth checking.

- Simon

OP
S
Reaction score
I looked at the display, I don't see anything. I tried to shine a flashlight on it and also used an external monitor. It powers on, but just stops. I don't get a startup sound other than the initial revving.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The GPU might have died and if it did, that effectively means a new logic board. You might be able to find a refurbished logic board and replace it yourself if you have the skills... Dig up a MacWorld magazine and look in the back at the ads. There are numerous ads for Mac repairs. Or, you could have Apple repair it at their flat rate depot repair price which is somewhere around $300 or so. I'm not sure of the exact price so be sure to call and check first before taking it on in to them.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I took it to an Apple store last week. The genius said its either the display or logicboard. I think I ruled out the display and it could be the GPU. Apple quoted me at least $350 maybe up to 600. I bought a new macbook instead.

I looked for logic boards, but I didn't want to shell out another $300, so I guess I will gut it and sell off the parts.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I looked for logic boards, but I didn't want to shell out another $300, so I guess I will gut it and sell off the parts.

Thanks

Unfortunately that's pretty much the way it goes when the something on the logic goes bad. Hopefully you can offset some of the costs of the new notebook by selling off the parts from the old one.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.