• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Very frustrated - QT does not play audio!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac & macbook
Hi... posted this before, still no answers, still in the mist, still headbutting the wall!

In past, I have uploaded movies from my Sony Handycam to iMovie automatically - no problemo! Now it doesn't.. why? I don't know!!

I have saved all data/movies from Handycam in a file on macbook pro... when I open a movie Quick Time plays the image only, not the sound.

I have downloaded VLC, all movies play OK (images and sound)... but iMovie won't let me import the files / movies. I have tried converting in VLC... but iMovie still refuses to import!

Please, please, please someone help me. What is the solution?

Thanks

OSX 10.5.8
iMovie 8.0.6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Try using Handbrake to convert the files for use in iMovie...

HandBrake

Hope this helps.
- Simon

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac & macbook
wow. thanks buzzard!

Yup! I've just converted one file... imovie will import! YEEEEESSSS! Gotta lot of converting to do now!

But... I'm still confused with the issue. In the past, I could plug the handycam in, and hey presto! MPEG2 files in! Now it doesn't.... any thoughts on why? Something to do with OSX / iMovie upgrades / incompatibility? Muxed issue?

Also... The files stored are MPEG2..... (which iMovie should play) Handbrake converts them to i.m4v. Opens up in Itunes as default...... this is ok i take it? What is i.m4v?

Sorry, audio is my field, not movie.... so a bit scatty with terminology / movie formats

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
This is .M4V ......

'M4V is a file container format used by Apple's iTunes application. The M4V file format is a video file format developed by Apple and is very close to MP4 format. The differences are the optional Apple's DRM copyright protection, and the treatment of AC3 (Dolby Digital) audio which is not standardized for MP4 container.
Apple uses M4V files to encode TV episodes, movies, and music videos in the iTunes Store. The copyright of M4V files may be protected by using Apple's FairPlay DRM copyright protection. To play a protected M4V file, the computer needs to be authorized (using iTunes) with the account that was used to purchase the video. However, unprotected M4V files without AC3 audio may be recognized and played by other video players by changing the file extension from ‘.m4v’ to ‘.mp4’.

As to why Quicktime is not playing your videos anymore...
Could be an update issue, check your Software Update if you haven't done so for a while. You could also try re-installing Quicktime if it is an issue with a corrupted file.
You could also try repairing disk and permissions from booting from your OSX DVD, could be a whole host of things to be honest.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I'ved noticed that some mpeg files need to be demuxed in MPEG Streamclip then turned into an mov or other kind of file for the audio to be heard. I run into this occasionally, particularly from video camera files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.