Using Mac theripper and toast? is that the way to go to back up my movies?

Reaction score
A few months ago, I was backing up my movies in my PC with Shrink 3.2 and Decrypter. Most of the times, it worked perfectly.

I just got a powermac G5 and want to continue this. In my research it seems that Mac theripper is the way to go but as far as a substitute for decrypter, Popcorn or toast is the way to go.

I was wondering if anyone has had any success backing up their movies using these programs or can recommend others that could do the job.

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
cooljoe815 said:
A few months ago, I was backing up my movies in my PC with Shrink 3.2 and Decrypter. Most of the times, it worked perfectly.

I just got a powermac G5 and want to continue this. In my research it seems that Mac theripper is the way to go but as far as a substitute for decrypter, Popcorn or toast is the way to go.

I was wondering if anyone has had any success backing up their movies using these programs or can recommend others that could do the job.

TIA
Yup.. thats what I use. MacTheRipper and Popcorn. Works really well and I havent had any issues as of yet. And if you have dual layer DVDs you can copy everything from the Master DVD onto it including Menues, Languages, Subtitles, and whatever else. I have Toast 6 Titanium, but found Popcorn works best when backing up/burning you full length DVDs along with MacTheRipper.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
when you rip a dvd to your computer you use popcorn to convert it? if not then how do i convert the files to .avi?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
MTR removes all encryption and stuff like that....popcorn can compress it for you and then burn with one click...

if you dont get popcorn and use toast you will need a program like dvd2one to compress it to a 4.5 gig set of .vob files

you can also search for the dvd copying thread on here, it has a detailed instruction of how to do everything you need

macattack: i believe the program to use to convert the vob's to avi's would be 'handbrake'....google it

B

Biturbo V12 AMG

if you want to back up movies a good way to increase quality is to tell Mactheripper to only rip the main part of the movie and skip all the scene selection and languages and special features and you will be surprised how close to original quality the main movie comes out to be on a 4.6gig dvd. aslo popcorn can do that for you.

OP
C
Reaction score
It sounds like Mac theripper and popcorn is the way to go. I wonder if I get virtual pc , I still could use shrink and decryter? However, in reading some of the threads, it seems VPC is extremely slow and some people dont think its worth the effort. Any comments?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cooljoe815 said:
It sounds like Mac theripper and popcorn is the way to go. I wonder if I get virtual pc , I still could use shrink and decryter? However, in reading some of the threads, it seems VPC is extremely slow and some people dont think its worth the effort. Any comments?
I wouldn't bother with VPC. I have it, used it once, and got rid of it. It came with my Office for Mac. Even with my dual G5 I noticed a slow down. This is just my opinion though. Some others may like it. But many of the users I see on the forums aren't too happy with the performance of VPC. Search some of the threads and you may find answers.

D

delaruelle

puzzled myself

So how did you go about toast and Mac the ripper. I just got these softwares and find it a bit tricky.

Thanks for letting me know

JD

D

delaruelle

cooljoe815 said:

TIA
So what did you do in the ned????

I'm in the same situation myself. can you help

D

delaruelle

Where do you get Popcorn then and how expensive is it????

coach_z said:
MTR removes all encryption and stuff like that....popcorn can compress it for you and then burn with one click...

if you dont get popcorn and use toast you will need a program like dvd2one to compress it to a 4.5 gig set of .vob files

you can also search for the dvd copying thread on here, it has a detailed instruction of how to do everything you need

macattack: i believe the program to use to convert the vob's to avi's would be 'handbrake'....google it
:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
delaruelle said:
Where do you get Popcorn then and how expensive is it????

:p
Go to the Roxio website, purchase there and they'll send you the receipt and the registration code by email along with the down-load link and information/directions. Its a bit cheaper then getting it from the store. I bought mine for I think $20. They had a sale and I also had a promotion offer. Couldn't pass it up. I was glad too. It was worth the purchase. If you down-load it, just make sure you check for the updates if need be.

If you get from the website you save on shipping and get it right a way. :) No waiting till tomorrow and no lines at the computer store. ;)

The price should be between $40 and $50. I may be wrong.

EDIT Here's the link: http://www.roxio.com/en/products/popcorn/index.jhtml

M

mscnln

If having an avi of the movie counts as backing up a DVD, and you want to go the Free (and free) route, handbrake is all you need.

G

gjilly

duplicating DVD's

TTheInfamous1 said:
Yup.. thats what I use. MacTheRipper and Popcorn. Works really well and I havent had any issues as of yet. And if you have dual layer DVDs you can copy everything from the Master DVD onto it including Menues, Languages, Subtitles, and whatever else. I have Toast 6 Titanium, but found Popcorn works best when backing up/burning you full length DVDs along with MacTheRipper.

Hope this helps.
I have Tiger, iBook G4....Disk Utility says I can make a mirror image of original DVD, then burn onto a blank DVD. I tried this, says burn was successful....but it appears nothing on DVD copy. Did I miss steps? Try wrong approach? Please help. Thanks...gjilly P.S. This is a DVD made from old home movies...not a professional movie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.