Can you set up Boot Camp with an SD card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Mid-2010 4gb ram
I am wondering if it would be possible to set up boot camp with an SD card instead of a CD.

Thanks,
Michael

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What is on the SD card? Are you saying that you have a copy of OS X Leopard or Snow Leopard on the SD card?

I'm assuming you're asking this question because your optical drive is broken?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I have windows xp on it. No my optical drive is not broken.

I put it on an sd card instead of a CD. I am looking to set Boot Camp up and install windows with the SD Card.

I don't want to try it and then find out it doesn't work and mess up things.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Thanks for posting back. No, unfortunately Windows will not install from the SD card using the Boot Camp assistant as it will look for a CD.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that you can't do it with the Boot Camp assistant. If you have a legal copy of Windows XP and the SD card is bootable, you may be able to do it this way:

Create a partition for XP with Disk Utility (boot from your install DVD) and then boot your machine with the SD card that has Windows on it. Direct the Windows XP installation to the partition you created. Windows will format it and proceed with the install. Just be careful not to install Windows over the top of OS X. As always.... backup, before!

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your help!

Searched all over the internet for this!

Case Closed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.