Deleting downloads folder

Reaction score
Hello,

I wondered if anyone could help me figure out how to delete the contents of the downloads folder? I know I can drag individual items, but I have already spent an hour doing this and it still isn't empty. I can't seem to figure out how else to delete the whole folder?

I need to schedule repairs on the MacBook and I'm a bit paranoid about security and all my personal details/info being available. I don't suppose there is much I can do about all my general documents being available, or is there?

Thanks very much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
for your downloads folder . cmd - a will select all then cmd delete will delete all selected then empty your trash

do not do this on the root of the drive!!!!!

OP
V
Reaction score
Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not quite sure what you mean though (sorry for not being very clued up). Do I click on the actual folder and then press cmd and delete? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
what you do is go into the downloads folder. then hit cmd-a this should select all files in the folder and cmd delete will move them all to the trash.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For those more comfortable with the GUI rather than remembering a bunch of keyboard shortcuts, open the folder in Finder, then on the menu bar - basically the same as in Windows - go to 'Edit' - 'Select All' and then 'File' - 'Move to trash'

Also the same as in Windows - you can select one item, scroll down to the last item you want to select, press the shift key and select the last item - it will highlight all items between the two.

And anything you move to the trash by accident - open up the Trash Can - right click the item and select 'Put Back'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I need to schedule repairs on the MacBook and I'm a bit paranoid about security and all my personal details/info being available.

Why? If they violated the privacy of even one customer, they'd get so much bad PR, and you would have heard about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.