Self assigned IP address in Airport

Reaction score
Hi All

I've just installed an Airport card in a G3 iMac. After battling with the ISP's customer service line, I managed to get it connected to the network but I've now hit another snag.

When I open Network in System Preferences, the Airport connection is showing an amber light and the message tells me that although I'm connected, Airport has a self assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet, which is the case when I open up Safari.

Any ideas anyone? Please? The iMac's new owner is about to blow a gasket and I'm not sure I can reach minimum safe distance in time...

Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Go to System Preferences > Network > Advanced, check the settings are similar to this...

attachment.php

As in the image check that 1: It is set to DHCP and 2: Click Renew Lease.

Hope this helps

- Simon

Sys prefs.jpg

Reaction score
I work at a private school and have run into this issue in my labs.
I have always found the issue to be one of my wireless hubs with a blinking yellow light that is no longer functioning as a bridge. The hub continues to broadcast, but there is no dhcp info being transferred. So the iMacs that pick up
on that hub self assign an IP. I've always thought that the folks that have this issue have some interference from another wireless hub or a device that broadcasts close to its bandwidth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.