hyperlinking .mp4 and .swf files into Word

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Go RAM, Iphone 3GS
A teacher friend of mine has transfered various files from PC to Mac. She has encountered an issue of not being able to create hyperlinks in Word with flash files .swf and also .mp4 files. I should mention the .mp4 files were converted from a different format (forgot to ask and I am not sure it is relevant or not). However when I tried creating hyperlinks with .mp4 on a Word document and it worked. However when she does it, she gets an error code. Can anybody explain this?

What does she need to do to be able to play Flash files on her word documents when presenting to her students.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Need more info. OS, What version of MS Office etc.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good question. I belive she is using MS Office 2008 and we are using OS X (Snow Leopard)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not sure what to make of the lack of interest in my thread. Is it because the solution is difficult to answer or is it a lack of clarity given about the problem? My greater concern is that this teacher is growing increasingly frustrated with her Mac. Our teachers used to use PC and now our district has decided to go with the Mac platform. Since this teacher spent much time developing ressources on the PC side (ie arious videos, flash animation etc. she does not want to have to recreate and search for new material). I don't blame her. Unfortunately she is becoming increasingly frustrated by the hurdles and glitches that come with changing platforms. So I am making a second plea for somebody to come up with some potential solutions to try so that Word will recognize the hyperlinked files. I could confirm which Microsoft Word version she is using. Help- I don't want to have a Mac basher on my hands...:Blushing:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
However when she does it, she gets an error code. Can anybody explain this?
What is the error code? Odds are that an explanation and solution are available once we know what the error is.

I am not sure what to make of the lack of interest in my thread.
You only posted this thread today - give it time.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I am not sure what to make of the lack of interest in my thread. Is it because the solution is difficult to answer or is it a lack of clarity given about the problem? My greater concern is that this teacher is growing increasingly frustrated with her Mac. Our teachers used to use PC and now our district has decided to go with the Mac platform. Since this teacher spent much time developing ressources on the PC side (ie arious videos, flash animation etc. she does not want to have to recreate and search for new material). I don't blame her. Unfortunately she is becoming increasingly frustrated by the hurdles and glitches that come with changing platforms. So I am making a second plea for somebody to come up with some potential solutions to try so that Word will recognize the hyperlinked files. I could confirm which Microsoft Word version she is using. Help- I don't want to have a Mac basher on my hands...:Blushing:

Not Apple's fault. Blame MS for the poor programing for the Mac version. >_>" I no longer have MS Office 2008 installed so I can't help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We need to find out what the error is before blaming it on MS or anything else. It would also be nice to know if the files were created with MS Word for Windows rather than the Mac version. Since she switched platforms from a PC to a Mac the hyperlinks may have been created in the Windows version. If that's the case, they may not work at all when the file is opened using the Mac version.

It also sounds like this particular teacher has some resistance to change. That's a natural tendency for most of us, however, once she learns how much easier it is to do things on a Mac, I'm sure she'll come around.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I will have to ask about the error code on Monday. I would bet that the flash files and video were created in the Windows version of MS office.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It turns out it was the MS version. The teacher has since recreated on a Mac version of MS without issues. I had forgotten to post this. My apologies and thanks for the help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back. And thanks for helping the teacher as they need all the help they can get with many things they're responsible for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.