How do I retrieve 1 pic from ext HD without importing all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
The title says it all really, I recently backed up 12,000 pics onto an external terrabyte to free up much needed space in my MacBook Pro, I flagged about 500 'best ones' and kept those in iPhoto after re-installing it for god measure.

If I want to find a pic that is somewhere among the thousands now in the external HD, how do I retrieve it without importing all of them, is there a way I can just browse through them within the terrabyte?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Not really, no sadly, you have to be able to open them to see them. As far as I'm aware there is no way of looking at them (unless they are in iPhoto).
For future reference, why not store your iPhoto library on the external, that way they aren't cluttering your HD, but are still visible in iPhoto.

Alternatively, this set up would be a very useful addition (and very cool!):

http://poland.digitalslife.com/wd-p...emotely-view-images-stored-on-an-external-wd/

OP
Shoeboat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
How to retrieve 1 pic from ext HD without importing all?

The title says it all really, I recently backed up 12,000 pics onto an external terrabyte to free up much needed space in my MacBook Pro, I flagged about 500 'best ones' and kept those in iPhoto after re-installing it for god measure.

If I want to find a pic that is somewhere among the thousands now in the external HD, how do I retrieve it without importing all of them, is there a way I can just browse through them within the terrabyte?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You asked this before, and I answered. Go to your original thread, and please don't duplicate questions. Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged duplicate threads.

You can open Finder and browse through the folder on the external using Cover FLow.

To import the single picture, you simply drag and drop the individual file onto the iPhoto icon.

A better way might be to install Picasa. Have Picasa scan that folder and it does not move the pictures, but you would still have a picture viewer to browse through them all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool, didn't know you could do that Bob.

Ta for merging the posts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 2 GHz Core2Duo Intel, 10.6.6, 2GB RAM
Note: Merged duplicate threads.

You can open Finder and browse through the folder on the external using Cover FLow.

To import the single picture, you simply drag and drop the individual file onto the iPhoto icon.

A better way might be to install Picasa. Have Picasa scan that folder and it does not move the pictures, but you would still have a picture viewer to browse through them all.

I didn't know you could do that if the files are in iPhoto Library format. If, however, the files were exported from iPhoto (File > Export) rather than simply archived as an iPhoto Library, then you could browse them like any other folder/directory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
It wouldn't matter if the file was part of an iPhoto library, since you're able to simply view that librarys files in Finder by right clicking on the library file and choosing "view folder contents" from there just browse like normal.

Doug

OP
Shoeboat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
Many thanks for all the replies and sorry for the duplicate, internet here is rubbish!

Cheers

SB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.