• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

We're looking for good forums that don't allow flaming

Reaction score
We like this forum b/c it talks about Macs, but we're looking for some good forums where you can just debate stuff, BUT, be treated pleasantly.
This is a rant, for sure, but I'm dog tired of getting on a website, that claims it will take care of impolite, rude posters and then start getting attacked by the cyberbullies on that site, and the moderators don't do a thing about it!
I'm getting depressed from hangin out on these forums and constantly having character assisinations against me, being discredited countless times about things we've just seen in the news, and stuff like that.
I don't have the health to take all this verbal abuse that some people feel is their right to dish out on the internet.

I.E. I hate cyberbullies & trolls, people who pick on others and start stalking them online.
I don't trust the internet, anymore, b/c of these types of people. I know that many normal people come on the internet and abide by the rules of a forum, but there are tons that don't.
I don't want to be a member of that type of forum, where flaming is allowed and nothing gets done about bullying.
So, I'm just wondering where there are some good websites out there, one can join. I don't want to post my photo on facebook. I don't want to reveal all our personal info to total strangers. Call me cautious, but I'm not paranoid. I've seen many people lose their hard drives and get viruses by mean people on the web.
I'm also not going to join a site like the other social site, where you post your photo, and I just don't even want to have to give out my e-mail anymore to these forums, b/c 9 times out of 10, there's a hacker, or a cyberbully who lives on these forums for years, and they're never removed by the moderator.
So, if you can suggest some good ones. Maybe one with a chatroom, that would be nice.
I like to chat in a chatroom. We started chatting years ago, back in the 90s,
Remember the IRQ chatrooms? those were pleasant and everyone would ignore a bully, if they came into the room and were polite to all.
That's fun to me.. to chat, have fun, make jokes, make comments about stuff, you've heard or read about. I don't mind debating things, but I hate being insulted over & over.
can you tell I've been a victim of cyberbullying?? :'(

It's a huge bummer to be a bully's target on line. We are bad at googling, we can never find anything we need from going on Google.
I have problems with Google too. Didn't i read somewhere they save all our searches?
I also hate the fact that google has reveal everyone's place of residence with their aerial shots! That's spooky to me...
I'm a big fan of allowing someone to have their privacy. I was raised to be polite, and I cannot tolerate rude people, it's just so stressful to deal with those types of people.
Now I'll debate you til the cows come home, but unless you're rude to me, I'll never say anything rude to you. I don't take people's garbage on the web though, Never did, Never will.

Anyone else ever been a target of a cyberbully on here?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think you'll like it here. Have a look at our Community Guidelines. We run a pretty tight ship here.

OP
W
Reaction score
We don't put up with verbal abuse, b/c we have to pay for our computer

Like most people, we have to pay for our computer, it wasn't cheap, and I'm not going to pay big bucks to be insulted online.

I like polite people, period. I love the forums where they actually will take up for the polite people. I cannot stand the ones who will stick up for the bullies, though, and that to me, is a breach of contract.

I don't like being deceived, but I have respect for others. I also will stick up for someone I don't even know, if I see they're being attacked for no valid reason.
I think more people need to do that online. You see someone posting something rude on a site that prohibits that, then report that to a moderator, even if the attack is not against you! Or say something to the bully! Stand up for the person who's being attacked. Then the bully might stop doing this!
Well, that's my 2 cents. Please be polite when responding to this post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Have you actually looked around this forum?
There is no flaming here, though I kind of get the impression that this thread is designed to test that theory.
This is the most strictly modded forum I am a member of (bar the ones I mod :D)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Trust me in this forum if you look like flaming or being impolite you get a wrap on the knuckles and thats from personal experience . . . . . . Getting reprimanded doesnt bother me as it does some, (not saying im rude) but bc i know how strict the mods can be, it makes me want to hang around somewhere like this bc of that reason :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Flaming is a personal thing. By that I mean what each person considers flaming is different. So really it's hard to remove 100% of the flaming. Cause then you'd have a place where almost nothing is talked about. As long as most of the harsher statements are removed then it's all ok.

But on the other hand if the mods go to far on a forum I simply leave. Cause I like my personal freedom of speech. And if anyone tries to prevent that, then I feel that place/person or internet forum is not worth my time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You will find some of the most knowledgeable people in the business on this forum that
use multiple platforms and generally have seen every bad scenario that are willing to
take time to help for free. I know my knowledge base has improved since becoming a member and I still learn something new every time I visit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I know my knowledge base has improved since becoming a member and I still learn something new every time I visit.

Same here.
By the way, how do your pronounce your screen name? Oh Ess Twenty? Not trying to start a flame war here... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Welcome to the forums.

I haven't seen too much flaming on this site over the years. The odd squabble here and there, but they were usually put to rest quickly.

Having said that, people are responsible for their own actions and in many ways how others relate to them as well. Walking into a real or virtual room and stating a bunch of conditions about how you should be treated could turn out to be counter-productive. For every troll out there who wants to make someone's life miserable, there is an argumentative pedant who makes it easy for them to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm getting depressed from hangin out on these forums and constantly having character assisinations against me, being discredited countless times about things we've just seen in the news, and stuff like that.
I don't have the health to take all this verbal abuse that some people feel is their right to dish out on the internet.

I'm going to assume you mean "these forums" in a generic sense and not this particular forum. With 8 posts, I don't think you've had time to acclimate.

As for cyber bullying, that can be subjective. What once person may consider rudeness or bullying another may simply see as an acceptable form of open debate. People are not going to always get along or agree so if you are looking for "perfect harmony" you might as well give up, it doesn't exists even on the internet.

That being said though, this forum does do a pretty darn good job of keeping things on an even keel. There's not much if any really bullying here and the staff is very proactive about handling complaints, insults and rude posts. This is a pretty friendly place and anyone who has been here for a while knows how to get along with others and participate in a fair discussion.

As for the rest your post, well, to be honest I suggest you stay away from the internet. You don't think you are paranoid but you certainly come across that way. If you are scared of all of the things that can happen on;line I suggest you not join any on-line site or forum simply for the fact that eventually some personal info about you is going to get out. You can't help it, real life experience always finds its way into on-line conversations and after a while you get to know people you've never actually met in person. I can't even begin to tell you how much I know about many members here that I have never met in person, down to what kind of food they like, what their real life professions are and how they voted in the last round of elections. None of it was written in a bio, it was all discussed in the forums. They all know a lot about me as well.

Seriously, the internet may not the place for you, or at least not forums or sites where there is a lot of interaction with others. I'm sorry if that comes across as rude or you feel like I am "bullying" you, I'm simply giving you my honest opinion based on what you have already posted. Good luck with your search.

Welcome to the forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Welcome. Lots of folks here from different places with lots of opinions. Good people. That said, always remember:

"Free speech in an open society also requires a thick skin."

One I try to remember, though sometimes forget when posting:

"Would I say this, take this tone, or be this sarcastic to the big inebriated 300 pound felon sitting next to me, when I'm all alone in an unfamiliar bar in a bad part of town at 3am?"

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Welcome. Lots of folks here from different places with lots of opinions. Good people. That said, always remember:

"Would I say this, take this tone, or be this sarcastic to the big inebriated 300 pound felon sitting next to me, when I'm all alone in an unfamiliar bar in a bad part of town at 3am?"
Spend a lot of time with inebriated felons in unfamiliar bars, eh! I don't think we need your type around here . . . ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spend a lot of time with inebriated felons in unfamiliar bars, eh! I don't think we need your type around here . . . ;)

Not as much as I'd like. I only do that kind of work here and there on the odd weekend now. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Same here.
By the way, how do your pronounce your screen name? Oh Ess Twenty? Not trying to start a flame war here... ;)

That will work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Same here.

Or would it be OS 100?
As in 10 times 10.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Or would it be OS 100?
As in 10 times 10.
Or, it could be OS Ten Ten (no relation to Rin Tin Tin, different spelling). :)

I have always liked osxx as a forum name BTW, and since I have 12 days seniority on the forum I would have it instead of you, except for the fact I didn't think of it while signing up. ;)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Face to face is different than talking your mind on the internet. There is that veil of anonymity which makes some people act and say things they normally wouldn't say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
As has already been said, maybe the Internet isn't the place for you because if this happens to you a lot, maybe its you!

Personally, I don't need (or want) a forum moderator to take solve my forum problems for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Face to face is different than talking your mind on the internet. There is that veil of anonymity which makes some people act and say things they normally wouldn't say.

True, unfortunately.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.