Wireless networks

Reaction score
My signal keeps drifting to another wireless network, I guess one of my neighbors. Can I program my mac to ONLY recognize my AIRPORT WIRELESS. The other signals do not show up in my system preferences network file, just in the upper right wireless signal bar. I cannot seem to get rid of them.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You should be able to delete that network from System Preferences => Network => Select AirPort in the left pane => Click Advanced => Find the network name in the list, select it and click the "-" button to remove it.

You might also want to let your neighbor know that their network is not secured and that they are opening themselves up to fraud, identity theft, legal issues and potentially data loss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Yeah that is a fun problem my boss ran into with an unsecured network. He received a call from the FBI of all places due to his network being used for fraudulent activities.

They dialed into his PC to clear him of the problem and tracked the mac address to a neighbor and then helped him secure it. what a story if you ask me but I believe it to be true.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you have an open network and a neighbor hops on it and uses it for illegal activities, you may have a difficult time explaining to the authorities when they come knocking on your door. Worse... they can confiscate your computer and assume you're the guilty one until you can prove otherwise.

Always use the strongest possible encryption available. WPA2 (If possible.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.