DOS in a Mac

Reaction score
Is it possible to run a DOS software in a MAC machine?

I am very tired of PC's, want to go back to a MAC, but I have a little issue, I work at home and the software that I use it is running DOS. I would like to know if Will I be able to install the software at the MAC?

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you do want to switch to Mac, you might want to see if there are any native Mac versions of your application or another application that does the same thing..

In the meanwhile, you can potentially try out DOSBox, an x86 emulator with DOS

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Back to front I think Razor. If you buy an Intel Mac running Leopard or Snow Leopard, you will be able to install Windows via Bootcamp and run the program that way.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Strangely enough..a lot of TRUE DOS applications don't function well on Windows XP and onward..you have to emulate (strange I know) a DOS environment there even..

Regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
True DOS applications have to be run using command.com rather than the cmd.exe emulator. Both are available in WinNT, W2K, XP, Vista, and Win7. However, both Vista and Win 7 are more finicky about running older programs. Some work, some don't.

OP
K
Reaction score
Here it is the information to Install the System that I use.
Data Entry Emulator - version 8.0
<C> Copyright 1985-1995 computer keyes
Licensed program material, all rights reserved

File to contain SET Environment Statements: C: \autoexec.bat
File to cantain SHELL Statement : C: \congif.sys

There are any place that I can go to try to install the system? Before I buy a mac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here it is the information to Install the System that I use.
Data Entry Emulator - version 8.0
<C> Copyright 1985-1995 computer keyes
Licensed program material, all rights reserved

File to contain SET Environment Statements: C: \autoexec.bat
File to cantain SHELL Statement : C: \congif.sys

There are any place that I can go to try to install the system? Before I buy a mac?

Which version of Windows do you have? As I mentioned above, Vista and Windows 7 do not run older programs well and the command.com environment settings work best in XP.

I have run numerous older DOS programs from XP, even ones that needed statements in config.sys and autoexec.bat.

If you have a friend or know someone who owns a Mac, maybe you can test you program there. But you would have to install Windows in order to do it.

OP
K
Reaction score
Which version of Windows do you have? As I mentioned above, Vista and Windows 7 do not run older programs well and the command.com environment settings work best in XP.

I have run numerous older DOS programs from XP, even ones that needed statements in config.sys and autoexec.bat.

If you have a friend or know someone who owns a Mac, maybe you can test you program there. But you would have to install Windows in order to do it.

The version off my Windows it is XP Professional. I do have friend who owns a mac, What Do I need to do, because I install mackeeper in someone else computer, but did not work at all. How do I do? What Do I need to install and how I will install my software?
Thanks for your information.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.