Windows keyboard on a mac, where the "~"

Reaction score
Is there an equivalent to this key "~" for use with a windows keyboard? All I get is similar to "l".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Depends what "windows" keyboard you are using and what make etc, keyboards can be very different.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Not sure how long you have been using a Win Keyboard on the Mac, but becomes easy with 3rd party Apps. Check out this Mac 101: Using your Windows keyboard from TUAW for more info. Directly answering your ~ problem, sorry not sure, cant find anything specific

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
The ~ is tilde
Tilde - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All my windows keyboards have the ~ and they work on the Mac. Are you saying you push the ~ key and you get | ?

Are you located in the US and is it a US keyboard?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hmmm... on most Windows keyboards I've seen, the ~ is just above the tab, just as it is on a Mac.

Reaction score
Macs computer with PC keyboards are confusing, aren't they?

I know what you mean. we had a mac keyboard once, and it got something spilled on it, and we used a Microsoft keyboard instead. It was confusing when they'd say use "this key" and you didn't know what key to press instead.
You say there's a link for that stuff? Can you print it out again?

I wish the keyboards were cheaper for the Macs. I love Macs, always have, but I do wish their prices were going down. I know, you get what you pay for, but we don't want to get PCs! lol... we're just hooked on the Macs. Plus we Mac people, don't get viruses, do we?

that's another question. to have your Mac computer secure from hackers/spyware, what software shud you get for it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Love your avatar there Buzzard! :Cool:Fan of South park here. where do you find avatar to put near your name?:D

HAHA thankyou very much! Mint-Berry-Crunch!!!!!!

Go to Profile, then on the left under Settings & Options you should see the option for "Edit Avatar", in this page scroll down to "Use Custom Avatar" then you can direct it to a url where the picture you want to use is, or you can upload a file.

HTH
- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.