Flash on the web?? Slow but why?

I

iFX

All the flash that I view on the web (I use firefox) is so slow on my Powerbook G4, I have the latest model and I do not see a reason as to why flash files don't play at their normal frame rate or why the quality looks slightly low.

Please help guys! I am a designer and I need this! :eek:neye:

OP
M

Merlinblack

This may be a really stupid suggestion, but is it running on the power adapter or the battery. I know in the past, laptops will stepdown speeds such as processor and RAM to save energy while running on battery.

If you are running it on the battery it may be causing the problem. Again I'm very new to the mac world but it's just a thought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Core 2 Duo MacBook (home); Core Solo mini (work)
I've noticed the same problem on my mac mini....some (but not all) flash sites seem to "stutter" on both Safari and Firefox.

OP
D

DylanMcDonald

I've noticed the same thing on my Powerbook G4 (latest model) and it is especially slow when I click over to another window. It almost freezes the flash frame rate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4GHz (AL) iMac+
Number6 said:
I've noticed the same problem on my mac mini....some (but not all) flash sites seem to "stutter" on both Safari and Firefox.

On my Mini too...

Very slow on my home page, ClubRSX

Reason?

OP
I

iFX

Seems like this is a big problem for macs... isn't this supposed to be a cutting edge computer with a kick *** graphics card? Why is this happening? This never happened to my on my Windows computers.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
bembol, any paticular links on ClubRSX that are slowing down? On there right now on old G3 300Mhz B&W and it's about as snappy there as my P4 2.53Ghz with ATI Radeon 9600 Pro.

IFX, could you list a few offending URL's please so I can do some testing? I have had no problems with slowdown on flash for sure since the last version of Panther. Would like to check some of your URL's out and see what is up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Unfortunately, flash player for mac running on anything lower than a G5 will run into frame rate problems, not quality, but most definitely frame rate. My friend is a professional action scripter and has complained about this problem for some time.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I did a lot of testing on a site with at least 3 flash windows all going at the same time. On the old G3 it's a lot slower than my P4 but I would hope so with a G3 300Mhz with ATI 4 Meg Capture card. On my Sawtooth 500Mhz it's a lot better especially with Safari but still not as smooth as the P4 or AMD system but then again 500Mhz G4 with Radeon 7000AGP. Then I tried the mini 1.25Ghz. In Safari 2.0 it's as smooth no matter what as the P4 execpt if I do other stuff but so far it's never completely stopped and stuttered. Even the P4 with Firefox at least if I click to another window shows some slowdown on Anandtech's main page, but when I watch flash I usually do not change windows and do other things as I am watching the window that the flash is in. I wonder what the Mini would do with a faster video card or if it's a CPU speed issue like johnny was talking about. I tried a 1Ghz PIII Copermine with Intel video. It slows down if I click away from that window I would say worse than the Mini does.

Maybe they have Flash for OSX optimized for the G5. I know installing a G4 Optmized version of say Firefox makes a big difference in speed instead of running the stock version on Mozilla's site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Core 2 Duo MacBook (home); Core Solo mini (work)
dtravis7 said:
I know installing a G4 Optmized version of say Firefox makes a big difference in speed instead of running the stock version on Mozilla's site.

Perhaps a dumb new Mac user question, but where might one find such an optimized version of Firefox?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.