• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Preorders of Apple's iPhone 4 break Verizon sales record in 2 hours

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Preorders of Apple's iPhone 4 break Verizon sales record in 2 hours
AppleInsider | Preorders of Apple's iPhone 4 break Verizon sales record in 2 hours
Verizon on Friday declared that presales of the iPhone 4 exceeded any other launch in the company's history in just the first two hours, though the carrier declined to provide actual sales figures.

Verizon iPhone 4 preorders sell out on first day
AppleInsider | Verizon iPhone 4 preorders sell out on first day
Initial demand for the Verizon iPhone is strong, as Apple and Verizon both appear to have run out of pre-sale stock of the new CDMA iPhone and are directing customers to wait until Feb. 9 to purchase the device online or Feb. 10 for in-store purchases.

54% of Verizon's Android, Blackberry users to switch to iPhone, survey says
AppleInsider | 54% of Verizon's Android, Blackberry users to switch to iPhone, survey says
More than half of Verizon's current Android and Blackberry users indicated they are likely to switch to the iPhone when it arrives on the Verizon network on Feb. 10, according to a new survey.

I said a pre-order sell out was a possibility. And it seems I was right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
How much you wanna bet at least 50% of those people who pre-ordered, were one's who originally claimed that the iphone sucks?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Verizon's online tracking is absolutely overwhelmed. Received a notification today that they made a mistake in their verbiage and that preorders would be fulfilled on or before 2/10. Tried to check my order status and keep getting "page unavailable". I'm guessing they sold even more than they had prepared to and their site must be getting a deluge of status requests.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've got two Verizon wireless centers within 2 miles of my home and both are not accepting walk in orders. At least not yet. They probably are overwhelmed....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
And my Apple stock continues to climb. Looking for a split.....

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

That would be great. I've been kicking myself for not getting in when it was under $100. If it were a bit more affordable, it might help pay for some new Apple products ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Wonder if the analysts are eating that crow with anything and just think if T-Mobile and Sprint had the iPhone.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I would happen to disagree here. Wait till Jobs is back and maybe when the new CEO has been there for a while and is all settled in. Cause with a split or two it won't take to really affect the share price. In other words, a $2 down turn on the shares hurts low shares much more then high share prices. $2 is just an example but I'm sure you get the idea.

Reaction score
How much you wanna bet at least 50% of those people who pre-ordered, were one's who originally claimed that the iphone sucks?

lol. As seems to always happen with anti-Apple people, the moment they can get one, it's suddenly awesome :p But when they can't for whatever reason, they are just overpriced trash :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would happen to disagree here. Wait till Jobs is back and maybe when the new CEO has been there for a while and is all settled in. Cause with a split or two it won't take to really affect the share price. In other words, a $2 down turn on the shares hurts low shares much more then high share prices. $2 is just an example but I'm sure you get the idea.

I understand what you are driving it. I'm looking at a split from the long term not the short. After each of the previous splits my overall stock value decreased in the short term to more than quadrupled in the long term.

That aside though, Apple share price has gotten a bit higher than I believe the market can bare. A split would bring the price down, bring in more revenue as investors snatch up the "bargain" price and would improve Apple financials (not like they are bad) in the mid to long term.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand what you are driving it. I'm looking at a split from the long term not the short. After each of the previous splits my overall stock value decreased in the short term to more than quadrupled in the long term.

That aside though, Apple share price has gotten a bit higher than I believe the market can bare. A split would bring the price down, bring in more revenue as investors snatch up the "bargain" price and would improve Apple financials (not like they are bad) in the mid to long term.

I agree with you too. A split would be a risk as would not splitting. For the reasons you and I mentioned. I don't think anyone knows the right answer here. it's more a case of pick one and hope for the best.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
I'm mildly surprised how many consumers are jumping at the first generation iPhone on Verizon. No talk and data at the same time, no 4G and benchmarks show AT&T's 3G network to be as much as 40% faster than Verizon's 3G network, high cost data plans and increased scrutiny that Verizon's network may buckle under the deluge of iPhone activations. Time will certainly tell but I'm inclined to hold off until an iPhone is out that supports Verizon's LTE network. I wonder how many consumers actually understand these limitations. Verizon certainly won't go out of their way to advertise them.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Resale value is why. You can actually sell your old iphone when a new one comes out for a fair price and get the new model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm mildly surprised how many consumers are jumping at the first generation iPhone on Verizon. No talk and data at the same time, no 4G and benchmarks show AT&T's 3G network to be as much as 40% faster than Verizon's 3G network, high cost data plans and increased scrutiny that Verizon's network may buckle under the deluge of iPhone activations. Time will certainly tell but I'm inclined to hold off until an iPhone is out that supports Verizon's LTE network. I wonder how many consumers actually understand these limitations. Verizon certainly won't go out of their way to advertise them.

Agreed.

I understand why there is no 4G though. Apple suffered with AT&Ts roll out of 3G so they are willing to sit by while both carriers get their LTE ducks in a row for the 4G iPhone 5 in 2012. Now they can pit the carriers against each other for price and service and let the public blame them, and not Apple itself, for the hold out. Once both carriers have somewhat reliable nationwide 4G service and the public is clamoring like a pack of drunken frat boys for a 4G capable iPhone, Apple will release one. In the interim the media will build wild excitement with ridiculous speculation and endless debate. When the 4G iPhone hits , sales records will be broken again, on both networks.

And my stock just goes up again.

Reaction score
Resale isn't enough for me. If I was in the market and I'm personally not, I buy one now with the 2-year contract for the obligatory $199 and I sale it a year from now for the same $199 when the new one hits the market. If I want the new one I'm paying full price and my cost skyrockets. Sorry, not a good deal in my mind. Bottom line is I think some will be disappointed. If I was buying an iPhone 4 I'd probably go with AT&T over Verizon if I was a data heavy user. One thing I do a lot with my phone is use the GPS for turn by turn directions. It would suck if that stopped working every time I take a call.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm mildly surprised how many consumers are jumping at the first generation iPhone on Verizon.

I think there's an incredible amount of pent up demand amongst loyal VZW customers like myself. Personally, I've waited 4 long years to get the iPhone and my philosophy has always been to jump on the product that fits my needs when I need it, and not to worry about what might be coming down the road. Technology changes constantly, and if you're always waiting for the next big thing, you'll wait forever.

No talk and data at the same time,

Admittedly, I've only had a Smartphone since April of last year, but in that time, I've never had the need to surf the Internet while trying to have a phone conversation.

Not sweating it. It will take two years to be rolled out to more rural areas like mine, where I could actually benefit from it. And by that time, I'll be eligible to upgrade to the iPhone 6 (or whatever it ends up being called).

and benchmarks show AT&T's 3G network to be as much as 40% faster than Verizon's 3G network

Not sure how it is elsewhere, but here, the differences are negligible at best. My Droid Incredible on EVDO rev.A handily outpaced my co-workers iPhone 3G in real world scenarios.

, high cost data plans

Not sure about the tiered plans as I've never had one, but AT&T's unlimited data is $30 just like VZW's. With my corporate discount, AT&T can't touch VZW's overall pricing (even though I'm eligible for a corporate discount there too, it's at a much lower rate than with VZW).

and increased scrutiny that Verizon's network may buckle under the deluge of iPhone activations.

Doubtful. VZW has been a strong player in the Enterprise Smartphone market and has been wildly successful with their mobile broadband adapters. Granted, I don't know how their bandwidth consumption compares to AT&T's, but I think the characterization that VZW's network has never been under the kind of strain that AT&T's was under the iPhone is wild speculation given VZW's vast product portfolio and customer base.

Time will certainly tell but I'm inclined to hold off until an iPhone is out that supports Verizon's LTE network. I wonder how many consumers actually understand these limitations. Verizon certainly won't go out of their way to advertise them.

So far, so good on my VZW iPhone 4. Voice calls were great all day today and surfing, downloading apps, etc have been just as speedy as it was on the Droid Incredible that preceded it (which is to say, faster than the AT&T iPhone 3G in my neighbor's cube at work). That same neighbor is actually trying to switch back to Verizon now that he's out of contract with AT&T and Verizon has the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I
Admittedly, I've only had a Smartphone since April of last year, but in that time, I've never had the need to surf the Internet while trying to have a phone conversation.

I used to be a VZW customer and left for an iPhone on AT&T. At the time I didn't consider this to be a big deal either. Where it hits the most though is times such as driving and trying to use Google Maps while on the phone (or Google traffic in particular). I find myself in conversations on my cell and people mention something and I look up references while talking to them on the phone. All things I NEVER thought of doing until I was able to. Getting e-mail whenever is nice, not having to worry about being on the phone if I'm waiting for a particular e-mail. I've dialed into teleconferences for work and been able to pull down the presentations from e-mail while listening in, and even make recommendations for changes all via e-mail while on the phone. Now I look at it as almost a necessity and it would be a show stopper for me moving back to VZW. In the end I guess you don't know what you are missing until you have it, then going back seems archaic.

As for speed, I do know that AT&T data is faster than VZW in my area of SoCal. I've done comparisons with friends who are on VZW with Droid phones and it's fairly obvious that AT&T wins hands down around here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.