PowerMac G5 - dvd drive invisible in finder and cant/wont eject

Reaction score
I have a second hand PowerMac G5 Power PC - one of the liquid cooled ones I believe. It is running Tiger OS. When I first recieved it I found that the DVD RW drive was not showing up in finder, and the manual eject was not working either. I have taken it to an authorised mac repair centre who have fitted a new dvd drive and told me the new one works fine.. yet I am still having the same problem!!!

I am using a pc usb keyboard and mouse at the moment I am just wondering is the fact that I have not got a mac keyboard connected anything to do with my problem here? That seems a bit strange to me, but what is also strange is that the previous owner and the mac shop both assured me that the drive worked fine!

I am obviously a massive noob to macs :[

someone help please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Does the new Superdrive appear in Apple System Profiler? If not then there is something wrong. First up try running Repair Permissions, and if that fails try a Mac keyboard and mouse. It should run from the PC board but who knows?

Last option just take it back and show he installer it is not working.

OP
C
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Does the new Superdrive appear in Apple System Profiler? If not then there is something wrong. First up try running Repair Permissions, and if that fails try a Mac keyboard and mouse. It should run from the PC board but who knows?

Last option just take it back and show he installer it is not working.

Thanks

It shows up in the system profiler, just not on the finder and I can't get it to eject. will try doing the repair permissions. How else can I make the drive eject without using the mac keyboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Install an eject button in your Menu bar to open and close the Superdrive.

To do this go to Macintosh HD > System > Library > Core Services > Menu Extras and there will be a file named "Eject.menu". Double click this file and the eject button will appear in the menu bar.

To see the disc on the desktop, go into Finder > Preferences and make sure the button to show CD's is selected.

OP
C
Reaction score
Install an eject button in your Menu bar to open and close the Superdrive.

To do this go to Macintosh HD > System > Library > Core Services > Menu Extras and there will be a file named "Eject.menu". Double click this file and the eject button will appear in the menu bar.

To see the disc on the desktop, go into Finder > Preferences and make sure the button to show CD's is selected.

did both of these, pre and post 'repair' :| no joy

wats up!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Last option alas - back to the repairer.

You should know beforehand the liquid cooled G5's had lots of problems with coolant leaking which corroded the logic board and caused all sorts of problems. Overall a good model to avoid alas as time goes by chances increase of this leakage.

Reaction score
hello + good day all!
im on an old PowerMac7,2, 4gb ram, running 10.4.11
computer works great for what im using it for which is some light recording.. some vsts in cubase.. etc
my problem is the same as the original posters.. The dvd drive always dissappears from the finder.. when i reboot it seems to work for about 5-10-15 min .. but then if i want to eject the disc i have to reboot again. please.. i dont want to spend any money on this old rusy bucket of bolts.. but if someone could tell me how to fix this nuisance of a problem.. what the **** is going on here?? is it the actual dvddrive failing? the cable? because.. if you ask me, I believe it to be some type of software error. ive only seen this happen on tiger with the powermac g5 + imac g5... ive never seen it happen on panther, In fact i think on the same machine if i boot into panther.. the cd works 100% fine and never locks up like this... I cant even run toast which is the major problem, because i use it to mount disc images.. I could get by without using the dvd if i could at least run toast.. but trying to run toast locks up.. trying to do anything related to the cd.. will freeze.. if i open terminal and do drutil eject. it just hangs.. does nothing.. there is obviously some peice of software doing this. perhaps it is toast itself that caused it in the first place? that almost makes sense.. the version of toast i have installed is version 8. perhaps ill roll back to 7,6,5 maybe even 4 and see how i make out..
will report back my findings!

Reaction score
i think i may be correct in that toast titanium 8 could have been to blame for the problem in the first place.. so far i just reverted back to toast 6.0.5 and all seems to be working!! im amazed i was able to solve the case;) elementary my dear watson;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.