I need to end password requirement to print

Reaction score
Greetings folks....I am a newbie//dad with IMac.I am the administrator and I wish to remain the only admin.
however the Imac requires login and password in order to print any document.. this has become a familly issue since my high school kids need to periodically print stuff for school...I am unbale to figure out where//-or how to chage the setup soo that other users can print easily with out this promt/requirement....I do not think that it is in keychain---and I have been in priner setup...please help this newbie--an middle/aged dad...
thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't think they should be getting the prompt for standard printing - it would be in Sys Pref - Accounts - in their individual accounts under Parental Controls - Other.

The printing control should only be preventing them from making changes to settings and adding/removing printers.

Give a try unchecking the printer controls and see if that does it. I've never used the parental controls, so am only guessing here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
So let me understand a few things better first.

Your account, is the ONLY account on the iMac?

Here's what I've just tested and it seems to work fine.

Make sure you have the printer installed and working on your administrator account.

Next go to System Preferences>Accounts and on the left-hand side, hit the + to create a new account(if it is grayed out, unlock it with the padlock underneath) and make the account a Standard or Managed account(with Managed, you can control what they can or cannot do) and once you have done so and filled out their information, log out and log in onto that account. Try printing a test page and you should not have any problems printing.

OP
L
Reaction score
thanks for the advice
First each kid...and Mom have a standard account
all the parental controls are NOT turned on---so the problem should not be parental controls....I did not have this problem until upgraded the OS to Snow Leapord
I initially thought it was keychain---and it may well be since I have no real understanding of keychain....
I also get prompts for password when I go to Safari a
with a box to check--"remember me in keychain"

I may well need to read up on keychain

thanks

OP
L
Reaction score
I think that I found the answer---I have changed my administrator's password...so I could give to the wife for that computer only

I found this on the Apple forum
If you change your account's password using your Mac OS X Install disc (or if your network-based account password is changed due to a network admin forcing a password change), your default keychain password (which uses the same initial password as your user account) does not change. Because of this, you will be prompted to enter a keychain password each time an application requires authentication that your keychain would normally provide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
That looks like exactly what you were looking for!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.