VPN Connection, need help!

Reaction score
I am successfully connected via VPN through my office VPN settings, my only problem is that I can't get into the network and retrieve files. I was told to go to the Finder > Go > Connect to server. When I do that I enter smb://theipaddress and press connect. I then get prompted to sign in with my office credentials and then the window pops up and says "select volumes to mount" THERE ARE NO VOLUMES! Nothing there. Why is this, is it something on the windows server at my office? I tried putting in the VPN IP address to connect and that says it can't establish a connect. When I connect through my actual pc I used at work's ip address it connects but no volumes listed to mount

Reaction score
Empathy

I can't answer your question, but a problem shared is a problem halved and I have exactly the same problem.

I persuaded The Windows only IT team at work set up VPN connection for my MAC book yesterday. Actually I don't need the VPN whilst at work as I can log on to the wireless network but I need remote acess to files held on the servers and the idea was to set it up so all would be hunky dory when I got home. After a lot of huffing an puffing an moaning about compatibility and should have stuck with the pc etc telling me I was on my own etc, they set it up, showed me the connection and I had acess to all the servers and files.

Came home, The VPN connection to work appears to connect, but I can only see everything on my home network, and nothing from work.

I too tried "go" from finder and clicking history (I connected earlier from a different location remember) or entering the server by IP yeilds nothing. Finder cant find !

OP
P
Reaction score
Yeah I mean it doesn't make too much sense, it seems like it is on the PC end of allowing the network drive to be shared with mac users, but my IT at work insists there are no issues on his end. He told me to bring the mac in and we can go to a wifi store for lunch and connect via VPN there, since you cant connect to our VPN server while inside the office, unless I use the wireless router connection like you did.

If you find any fix to this please let me know! I hate using the remote desktop on my mac, just want access to my work files!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What version of Mac OS X are you using?

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.