MacBook Pro Suddenly Slow *Urgent*

Reaction score
Hey guys. Well for a while now, my 2010 MBP has been ridiculously slow, but today I guess the slow down was taken up a notch to the point where my main account is unusable. My guest account works fine, but my main (admin) user is slow as molasses.

I tried running all the Onyx utilities and virus/spyware scanners...nothing worked. I checked ram and hard drive usage, there is quite a bit of available ram and hard drive space. The guest account works totally fine and my computer used to be blazing fast.

I have midterms and a lot of files I need to study from are on my computer, so I need to get this resolved ASAP.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Whilst in your admin account, open up activity monitor from the applications folder, ensure you have selected "all processes "in the top right hand corner and see which process is eating all your CPU cycles.
( I am assuming all your apps. Are running slow.)

Cheers ...

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi. I did what you said and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. I've been using a new account now as I pretty much gaveup on the old one, and it is working really well. I would still like to fix my old account though because all of my user settings and documents remain on that account.

Is there anyway to transfer my user settings and documents to my new account?

Thanks.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
have you tried repairing permissions on your startup disk?

OP
S
Reaction score
Yea I used all of the things in Onyx.

I also checked my HD space remaining, I have over 100GB. I also deleted a bunch of random files that I downloaded and don't need. Also ran virus & spyware scans.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
So by creating a different user account, you've determined that the issue is linked to your old account. In the past, I've used root credentials to rename a flaky /Users/yourusername/Library "Library.old" and then create a new "Library" folder. Log back in, and let your system start writing necessary files back to the new Library folder. If the lag persists, reverse your changes. If it doesn't, you can copy over individual settings manually from old to new as needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.