preparing for ipad

Reaction score
I've decided to buy an ipad, but have decided to wait until the next version comes out. Currently I'm running OS 10.4.11 on my iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Aside from upgrading to Snow Leopard, is there anything else I should be doing prior to getting the ipad? any other upgrades?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Upgrade OS, then make sure you have the latest iTunes, that is about all the essentials really.

Start looking for the apps you want and make a list of them as well :)

- Simon

E

EightmanVT

I'd suggest saving money for all the $$ you're about to blow on the app store... ;-)

Reaction score
Start looking for the apps you want and make a list of them as well :)

- Simon

Can't agree enough, one thing the App Store is sadly lacking is the ability to bookmark Apps, like many I suspect, I often browse through the App store to see whats available, Days later I will be doing something and think 'I saw an App for that' but I never seem to be able to find it, maybe something Apple could consider for App store 2.0:Cool:

E

EightmanVT

Can't agree enough, one thing the App Store is sadly lacking is the ability to bookmark Apps, like many I suspect, I often browse through the App store to see whats available, Days later I will be doing something and think 'I saw an App for that' but I never seem to be able to find it, maybe something Apple could consider for App store 2.0:Cool:

Yes - I've often thought that would be a useful feature. I use the tell a friend feature - to "tell" myself via e-mail about a particular app that I want to come back to later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
It will be addicting. Here's all the apps I purchased in a short amount of time. I had the first iPad for about 6 months(from launch until like June) and I haven't had one from that time until now...but here are the apps that I have that I will be putting on my iPad 2.

Angry Birds HD
Calculator for iPad
Chase Mobile
Chop Chop Runner
Color and Draw for Kids
Color Splash for iPad
Command and Conquere
CraigsPro
Cut the Rope HD
Flight COntrol HD
Flipboard
iFish Pond HD
Keynote
Pages
Numbers
Labyrinth 2 HD
Macworld Daily
Magic Piano
Marble Mixer for iPad
Mirror's Edge
Mobile Mouse for iPad
N.O.V.A. NBA Hotshot HD
Need for Speed
Paper Toss HD
Penultimate
Pinball HD
Sketchbook Pro
Touchgrind HD
UNO HD
USA Today
White Noise Pro
World of Goo HD
Worms HD
Air Video
Atomic Web Browser
Delivery Status
Dragon Dictation
Dropbox
Evernote
Fandango Movies
Geometry Wars
Google Earth
Hulu Plus
IMDB Movies
Magic Window
Night Stand HD
Pandora Radio
Parachute Panic
SoundHound
Spawn Illuminati
StickWars
Weather HD
Twitter
360 Live

Just to name a few! Maybe that list will give you some insight on things that are good. Clearly I'm into games, and I use(d) it for school but honestly, I've never seen an iPad app that was truly "bad".

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks for making me feel better!

At last count I had 107 APPs (though more than half were free downloads). It really is addictive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True to that! I have about 170 apps right now, and I'd say only ~20 of them are free. I live in an area where we have "Speedway Super America" gas stations and they have something called "Speedy Rewards" and I get 100$ itunes cards from there about....every 2 months. So I just get them and go to town with spending on applications.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
True to that! I have about 170 apps right now, and I'd say only ~20 of them are free. I live in an area where we have "Speedway Super America" gas stations and they have something called "Speedy Rewards" and I get 100$ itunes cards from there about....every 2 months. So I just get them and go to town with spending on applications.
How much gas do you have to buy to get a $100 iTunes card?
It might be worth my while to look for Speedy Super America (though I doubt we have them in Arkansas).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They're only in like a 5-state area around me. The thing that I didn't mention though is that my dad owns a tractor/truck business and my mom does all the gas purchasing and she lets me use my speedy rewards card for the purchases. But even on my own, I ALWAYS get free drinks, food, and literally almost any merchandise in their store...I can honestly say it is by far one of the best rewards programs in the world.

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting iPad 2, there are several apps on my iPhone that I've paid for. Can you also put them on your iPad without having to re-purchase them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm looking at getting iPad 2, there are several apps on my iPhone that I've paid for. Can you also put them on your iPad without having to re-purchase them?

Yes.
Be sure to use the same Apple ID or else it won't work. You can use them on up to 5 devices that use your Apple ID (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad).
And remember if they aren't especially made for the iPad, they will either be really small or if you magnify them (2x "button") they will be a little pixelated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
Great thread for those of us on the eve of our first iPad purchase!

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your replies to my original post. I'm in line on the 25th (Canada):\ (only 22 more sleeps!)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yes - I've often thought that would be a useful feature. I use the tell a friend feature - to "tell" myself via e-mail about a particular app that I want to come back to later.

That is brilliant. Wish I had though of it. just this week I saw an app that I thought was worth a look now I can't seem to find it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
Isn't there a Wish List feature? I have never used it but I've seen the option on the drop down menus in iTunes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.