Upgrading, please help with backup and restore

Reaction score
I am about to upgrade from my macbook to a MBP and I currently use time machine for back ups with my external HD. Will this method back up everything? What about programs that are certified to this machine? Is there anything else I should do before wiping my old computer back to original for selling? Also, once I have the new machine, what must be done for a complete restore? Any advice is appreciated thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes using Time Machine connected to your new computer will back everything up nicely. Programs including Office etc will transfer over. Suggest zeroing the drive prior to selling MacBook. This is done through Disk utility > Erase > Options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
When it comes to restoring, you boot your iMac, go to Utilities > Disk Utility, click your HDD, click Restore, next to Source: click "Image..." click your time machine backup, click select, drag your HDD icon into the Destination field, click Restore.

Done

Hope this helps

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Good luck with it and keep us posted pal ;)

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.